1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

The Urquhart Informal Censuses of Portpatrick (1832-1853): a precious resource

Discussion in 'Wigtownshire' started by Valzie, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Valzie

Valzie LostCousins Member

Though not available online, these were transcribed and published by N.L. Tranter (Scottish Record Society, New Series 8, printed in Edinburgh) in 1980. Even in Canada, the volume can be obtained through inter-library loan. The first census, compiled in 1832-4 by assistant minister Andrew Urquhart as a way of acquainting himself with his parishioners, is the most useful to genealogists. Thanks to it, I know that my ancestor Andrew Sproule, a farmer, had moved into the parish 23 years earlier, while his wife Mary Torrance and all their 8 children were born there; that husband and wife were communicants and all children had been baptized; that Andrew and all children over the age of 15 could read, write, do arithmetic and were gainfully employed; that Mary Torrance and 12-year-old son could read and write, while the youngest child (8) could only read.
    The 3 later censuses, which provide less detail and do not cover the whole parish, are less valuable to researchers but still useful when read in conjunction with the formal censuses of 1841 and 1851.