1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

The tick on My Ancestors page

Discussion in 'Key features of the LostCousins site' started by webwiz, Aug 9, 2016.

1. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

After updating to the latest version of Windows 10 I noticed that I experienced the problem reported by Bryman and others when using Edge and IE11. Another symptom was that when I went to the My Cousins page and clicked the pop-up test it took a very long time to respond (and the fan came on, showing that the computer was working harder than usual).

Today I repeatedly tried the pop-up test, and eventually it responded instantly. Subsequently the red Searching graphic always appeared when it should have done.

My experience suggests that Edge and IE11 have an aversion to Javascript and are carrying out checks before executing scripts. This is perfectly reasonable behaviour by the browsers and whilst changing the settings might avoid these checks taking place I would much prefer a minor cosmetic issue to a virus!

2. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

I'm not sure if this is related but recently the My Ancestors page seems to be having some issue with a script, and this is delaying the page opening. I've noticed it in W10 and W7, IE and Firefox (latest versions) and also in Safari on my iPad. Firefox brings up a message about an unresponsive script and in IE, hovering over the X in the address bar gives the option to stop running the script.

Is this just browsers checking also, or could something else be amiss?

3. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

I noticed this and raised a question with Peter. He thinks it might only appear when members have a relatively large number of census references on their My Ancestors page. I don't know what such a threshold might be.

As you have found, there seems to be a problem with most browsers although Chrome seems to object less than others. Peter suggests the use of Chrome, yet again, and I am following that advice for the moment. Perhaps Chrome does less checking than the others or is less demanding in this particular circumstance.

I normally use Firefox and the unresponsive script message appears when the 'final' advert for findmypast is displayed on My Ancestors page but not others. Clicking on "continue" just continues the wait but closing that message does allow other functions to be performed. However, I think this does leave something incomplete and lead to possible problems later, particularly where I was trying to resolve "!" mismatches.

Last edited: May 24, 2017
  4. Pauline

I'm not sure if this can be the reason as my husband has also had this happen, and he has only recently got enough ancestors entered to get a forum invite.

Neither of us has Chrome installed, and are unlikely to be persuaded into doing so.

In IE, if I click the X in the address bar to stop the script the page then finishes loading more or less instantly.

5. Tony

Tony LostCousins Member

I've also noticed this recent delay in displaying the My Ancestors page. It now takes 30 to 40 seconds measured (previously maybe 5 seconds). The delay seems to be connected with web addresses awin1.com and dwin2.com, both Amazon Web Services. The script www.dwin2.com/pub.88963.min.js might be the main culprit. This is all with Firefox 53.0.3 (64-bit) and Win 10 Pro 10.0.14393, with 723 ancestors listed.

6. peter

Those addresses are related to the Findmypast ad - which I can't remove while we have an exclusive offer running. But the root cause is the extra security - which required implementing a reverse VPN.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  7. Tony

Tony LostCousins Member

I should have added that there's no delay in loading any other LostCousins page, despite the same ad appearing on them all.

8. Pauline

Yes, same here. The delay is only on the My Ancestors page. It starts loading OK and then gets stuck when the progress bar is about half way. At that point the links stop showing as active links and so on.

9. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Takes about 12 seconds for me using Chrome/Win 7. 3,217 entries.

But doesn't lock up.

10. peter

That's right, it's nothing to do with the advert, it's the amount of information on the page.

11. Pauline

Is it then the extra security now in place that means the amount of information on this particular page causes the script to become unresponsive? It's certainly only a fairly recent occurrence.

Also, it is presumably happening on almost everyone's My Ancestors page, as those with relatively few ancestors entered don't seem to be exempt from the problem.

Edit: Just to add to the above, not all my browsers automatically redirected me to the new secure version of the site, and the unresponsive script issue was happening with the insecure site as well

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  12. Rhian

Rhian LostCousins Member

I guess I fall into the minority category again, I have not noticed any delays. I guess my setup is a bit esoteric, Vivaldi browser on Arch linux with Origin and ghostery installed as standard.

13. peter

As I mentioned earlier we now use a reverse VPN which sits between the website and the outside world - that's why there is a short delay. Only pages with large amounts of information are going to take so long to display that the script for the advert on the right-hand side times out, but precisely how many entries you need to generate that delay will depend on how fast your broadband is and other factors, such as the choice of browser.

If you get the unresponsive script error just click 'Stop script'.

14. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

Earlier today, I performed searches and changed the sort sequence of My Ancestors page while using Firefox without getting any error message. I also reran using Edge with similar success.

However, now the error has returned and when I click 'Stop script' to end the process, I then find that further requests to resort are ignored. The button is marked as selected but then nothing else happens. Similarly if I select 'SEARCH', nothing happens.

15. peter

It may be that some browsers disable all Javascript on the page. If you get the same problem after reloading my advice is to use Chrome.

16. Pauline

If I stop the problem script using Firefox, then I likewise find the resort options don't work, although for me the SEARCH does.

With IE, I haven't as yet found any issues arising after stopping the script, and also with IE, if I don't stop the script, the page does eventually load.

17. Pauline

Just done some experimenting on a W10 computer running Edge, IE, Firefox and Chrome - all fully up to date. To load my 'My Ancestors' page took 31 seconds in IE, 37 seconds in Edge and 38 seconds in Chrome. I couldn't get Firefox to open the page unless I clicked to stop running the script, although I admittedly gave up trying after around 2 minutes of repeatedly clicking to continue.

Edge gave me warnings that the site had stopped responding, but I ignored those and it continued loading the page.

The above times are averages, but there was very little variation between attempts.

I guess IE wins this test, but Edge and Chrome weren't that far behind. Firefox was apparently struggling.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  18. FredC

FredC LostCousins Member

I'm running Firefox on a W10 computer, and have just recently started to have the same issue. I gave up on Edge as it was incompatible with "Ancestry".

19. peter

I've made a small change - is anyone still getting the script error?

20. Pauline

Just checked, and no, not in IE or Firefox - both latest versions.