1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

The Isle of Man BMDs

Discussion in 'Isle of Man' started by Jennie, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Jennie

Jennie LostCousins Member

ManxBMD provides a search from 1877-1979 for Civil Registration certificates based on these three events either by year, surname or district to the location of that record. The index entries will give you the year, surname, given names and the area where registered. For deaths, the age at death is also included. These records can also be found on Ancestry.com and if the years are suitable for you, if may be save money to view here first as a guide.

I have not yet established the reason for one of my families moving to the Isle of Man from Lincoln, Lincolnshire and then becoming locally termed as a ‘Come-Over’ family, but do know it was a popular steamship travel destination. Just in Douglas alone, in 1870 there were 60,000 visitors annually, by 1884, this had grown to 182,000. In 1887, 310,916 visited for Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Bee

Bee LostCousins Superstar

In the Isle of Man compulsory civil registration did not begin until 1877 for births and deaths and 1884 for marriages. Does anyone know whether there are any parish records pre these dates available online ?

3. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

Bee, Family Search has parish records for the Isle of Man 1598 to 1950

4. Bee

Bee LostCousins Superstar

Thank you Heather. Now why didn't I think of the obvious answer!