1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

The Homeless in Census Returns

Discussion in 'Comments on the latest newsletter' started by BrianTunWells, Jan 19, 2017.

1. BrianTunWells

BrianTunWells LostCousins Member

In the 1861 census my great great grandmother Caroline Cook, a romany, is listed under a page heading "List of Persons not in Houses". She and her group are listed as "in tents".
    Caroline Cook was born in 1841. In 1861 she was in Wootton St. Lawrence, Hampshire. Archive RG09; Piece no. 711; Folio no. 23; Page no. 39

In 1871 she and a large number of others are shown with the address "South side of the railway". I feel sure they too are all romany people living in tents and probably also caravans. RG10; 1235; 88; 7

Brian

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1