1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

The Great War

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Marguerite, May 1, 2014.

1. Marguerite

Marguerite LostCousins Member

My grandfather was born in Rotherham Yorkshire to German immigrants from the Hohenlohe Region of Baden-Württemberg.

I met a German historian through my forum entries and although FamilySearch entered my forefathers, the link to my great grandparents was not apparent. My friend uncovered this and I am very grateful. Part of my family were in the leather trade and the others were pork butchers, masters in their trade from this area of Baden-Württemberg, who came over to, mostly, North and North West England to fill in a niche not provided by the English.

My grandfather came to Northwich, Cheshire, to be near his cousins, the Heinzmanns. and married an English woman. They had five daughters, the youngest being my mother (my Avatar). Grandfather Pfisterer, changed his name to Fisher. Someone threw a brick through his Garage windows but the person was arrested by the Police. He was attacked by a soldier who had escaped from Germany but the soldier got off mildly as he had escaped and had a brilliant war record.

His first grandson, my cousin Johnstone Christian Dalzell, was shot down as a Pilot on the great Mission of February 1944.

On the eve of the Great War celebrations, I have been reading stories and have been moved by the stories from both sides, England and Germany.

Are there any of you on the forum who also have English / German ancestors.

On a lighter note, I am going to Germany this August for a "Great Pork Butchers' Reunion" and am looking forward to it immensely. My great grandmother's birth house is still standing. She was born in 1842!!

2. AndyMick

AndyMick LostCousins Star

Not strictly ancestors, but I found a war grave for someone in my One Name Study whose ancestor had emigrated to Germany in the 1840s. He was a "see soldat", which I guess is the German equivalent of the marines. So I have him and his 4th cousin (give or take a removal or so) in war graves on opposite sides.

3. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

I think it's worth bringing your lovely post to the forefront again Marguerite, in case new members haven't delved into these resources sub forums. Did you ever tell us about the reunion?

4. Marguerite

Hello Britjan

Had I replied to your post straight away, I would not have had to search so long, but here it is:

Quote:
    Hello Doreen

His Serene Highness was otherwise engaged so we didn't have the pleasure of his company.

We were 47 adults and 3 children, of which one was from Canada, two from NZ, one from Scotland and one from Switzerland (me).

The hotel was fantastic although we were out each day touring and the evening found most of us in the Bar before we toddled off to bed. The breakfast buffet was overwhelming (the only thing missing was a Russell Hobbs) but the reception area had an urn with hot water and tea bags, etc. I don't eat breakfast until I come back early with the dog so it was wasted on me.

We visited a slaughter house on Saturday (no slaughtering!) and the accompanying market, and learned about the cooperative for the farmers of that region. The swine are Schwäbisch Hallische Schweine (Swabianhall Swine) a sort that develop slowly and are first slaughtered at 9-10 months.

http://ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/swine/swabianhall/index.htm

Unquote

Marguerite
    We visited Schwäbisch Hall that boasts the most beautiful market place in Germany. The town had salt mines, as did Northwich where my Whitlow family came from but did not culture this as in Northwich. They were mainly merchants.

St. Michael's Church was well worth a visit :

http://www.123rf.com/photo_16544888...waebisch-hall-a-town-in-southern-germany.html

I found my great grandmother's house in Kocherstetten and the plot of land where my great uncle had built his house, high up overlooking Künzelsau.

It was also a very welcome experience to be with so many British people, even if they nearly drove me mad with their endless questions in the Supermarket: "Gill, what's this in English?. I escaped to their shouts of "we'll find you". Not only did they not find me whilst I was trying to do my shopping, the mini-coach left without me but I was picked up by my German friend's wife who raced round the bends and deposited me within seconds of the coach arriving at the next visiting place.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 3
  5. Marguerite

Have just checked the first link - it's no longer working!!