1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

The Genealogist - Saving an Image

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by AndyMick, Feb 12, 2015.

1. AndyMick

AndyMick LostCousins Star

As a subscriber to a certain family history magazine, I am now in possession of a 3 month subscription to The Genealogist. With both Ancestry and FMP, I can save an image to my disk - I cannot see this option on TG. Am I missing something blindingly obvious? All I see is "Save to My Research Log" - no image. To have to use a low res screen print seems a pretty poor alternative.

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Right-click and Save image as works for me.

3. AndyMick

Doh! Thanks Peter.

4. AndyMick

Found it! Click on Tools and there's a Download item.
    I'm not impressed by the quality of the transcriptions.

5. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

Which image viewer are you using? On the main search page you should see a drop-down offering you the choice between the new viewer - jpgs - or old viewer - pdfs.

I am now using the new viewer, and when viewing an image there is a little box marked tools in the top right. Click this and then select the download option. Exactly what follows will depend on your browser but you should then be able to save the image to your computer.

When I used the old viewer there was a save option in the PDFs menu bar to download the image to your computer.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  6. peter

I also had a PDF option available to me but didn't mention it because saving images as PDFs is not a good plan.

7. AndyMick

New viewer - jpg.
    So why did it save as png?!
    Ah well, making progress slowly!

8. Pauline

At one time PDFs were the only option - as was the case at some other sites also. But there is a work around if you want to edit a PDF image before saving or printing.

9. Pauline

Not knowing which dataset you were saving an image from I can't comment specifically, but I just tried with an image in a non-conformist register and that downloaded as a jpg.

I was slightly disconcerted when I clicked on Download to see a box appear with the sole option being to download the whole document, but whilst I had visions of the entire register downloading, it was just the page I was viewing.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  10. patzy

patzy LostCousins Member

In firefox jpg and png seem to be the same.
    I tried renaming a .png to .jpg and found the file would then open in any .jpg compatible software.
    (NB: I use linux but I'm sure the same thing will apply in all OSes.)

11. AndyMick

1891 census image. Definitely labelled as a .png.
    Most image readers will read almost anything but I'm fairly sure (just checked with Wiki) that it's a different format to .jpg but with the same aim in mind.

12. peter

png and jpg are both compressed file formats, but png is lossless, so there is no degredation (png was invented when Compuserve suddenly remembered that they owned the rights to gif and threatened to charge people for using that file format).

It's therefore quite important to distinguish between png and jpg files.