1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

The 1939 Register

Discussion in 'Latest news' started by AdrienneQ, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

As I am inclined to do things differently to others the truthful answer is yes and no. Yes because sources (which include references) are 'automatically' added into my Ancestry Tree as I search from within Ancestry to locate BMD & Census information. If they cannot be found in Ancestry I usually turn to another source (like FMP) and when I find what I seek I will include references. But 'no' within my own standalone FH database or my Tribal Pages webpage. These are reference free.

I have not as yet decided to add a manual 1939 Register entry into my Ancestry Tree. It would need to be done manually because it is not part of Ancestry's search , nor can Ancestry provide Hints. What is important to me is to take advantage of the information the Register contains. Somewhat long-winded to cover each database (FTM thankfully synchronising with Ancestry - for the time being at least) - and even more so as I write copious notes (no surprise there) to accompany changes within my Tribal Pages; it is the way I work.

When I need to export a Gedcom I do so from Ancestry and upload to FTA when I want to take advantage of what this admirable program offers, and to Genes to keep that updated. As I said at the start I do things a little differently but still am able to appreciate the way others work. ;)

2. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Bob, how about entering as a residence fact, dating it as 29 Sep 1939.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Bob Spiers

Not a bad idea, Emjay, not bad at all. That would accord nicely with the way I work . A Residence fact would allow me to show the Location (address) and the 1939 Register as a source. I could even record references if so minded. I will give it more thought but that certainly seems the logical way forward. Thanks for that.

4. FamilyHistoryGal

FamilyHistoryGal LostCousins Member

That's what I do Emjay :)

5. Bob Spiers

Interested to know if you include full references or just the location details and acknowledge the Register?

6. FamilyHistoryGal

I just put Residence: 29 September 1939 - then give address. I put occupation in separate field or the same field if feeling lazy. ;) Obviously if I see that date and year I know where I've got the information from.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. FamilyHistoryGal

I just copy and paste address from the register itself

8. trebor

trebor LostCousins Member

I enter the address as a Residence in FTM and use a source I have created called 1939 Register.
    I paste in the details from the transcription and link to the page that I have downloaded in the Source for each family.
    I then link the Source to each family member when I enter the Residence and Occupation details and also link it to the DoB.

9. Bob Spiers

touché:oops:

10. Bob Spiers

My head hurts trebor just reading this, but to be fair I do not use FTM to enter anything. Many do I don't. FTM for me is a desktop reference point with information synced from Ancestry. I am sure the steps you illustrate could equally apply to Ancestry - certainly the first paragraph creating a source, but thereafter too vague to follow.

Don't worry it is purely me, which is why I think I will take the 'Residence' route. But if it doesn't help me it is sure to help others who use and are familiar with the input workings of FTM.

11. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

I started off with "1939 Register" as a fact, but decided to adopt "Residence" as a fact. In Roots Magic I use the 'note' to record the reference no. and the individuals occupation.

12. trebor

Sorry I didn't make my methods very clear Bob. If you do not understand my post I'm sure many others will have the same problem.
    When Ancestry enters a fact in FTM it attaches a source which contains the details of where the information came from as well as a copy of the relevant document.
    I created my own type of blank source in FTM which I called 1939 Register.
    When I record in FTM new information that I have found in the register I use this blank source to record the details I have found by copying in to it the details from the transcription and also attach the copy of the page from the register. I link the completed source to each entry (residence, occupation, DoB etc) for each person at that address.
    In effect I am trying to copy the way Ancestry records the information related to the fact.
    I hope that this makes my methods clearer even if they are perhaps more complex than some of the other systems used by other posters.

13. Norman

Norman LostCousins Member

I create a residence fact in Ancestry. I have also created a source called "1939 Register" and a repository called "FindMyPast", I then paste the URL and add media if appropriate.
    upload_2016-2-21_19-7-58.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  14. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

I just record information from the 1939 UK Register in much the same way as 1911 UK Census, etc. I don't know what reference information Peter might possibly require in the future so put down as much as I can find and will probably have to adjust later. It will be easier to remove extraneous details than to look for and determine what might be missing.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  15. trebor

This is probably a more accurate method compared to mine - I may try to modify mine to match.

16. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

I have asked Alexander to update FTA to accommodate for residence facts for 1939.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. PhilGee

PhilGee LostCousins Member

Snap :D I actually use multiple spreadsheets as my main database (I may try converting to an actual database sometime!), so have created two extra 1939 sheets for "persons of interest" (containing a household reference) and corresponding "household" data. CSV copies of these sheets are processed by a program (via the FreeBasic compiler) to generate various GEDCOM files (now with the 1939 GEDCOM occupation/residence entries added) - one being Ancestry specific which is merged in FTM and then synced with Ancestry for updating. I do not link any information directly on Ancestry but include referencing information that allows others to easily get to the same sources. A comment/note associated with CENS entries includes the name and age as recorded for the census - something similar will be added for 1939 Register data. Date of birth (BIRT) already handles certificate(s), death index, 1939 Register and Ancestry tree variations through comments/notes.

As a result, I can add/modify how I treat various data elements and I have a single image and/or transcript file that I link to each household member via my file names for non-ancestry GEDCOMs. Unique citations are generated in the program and "fixed" data for repositories etc are contained in a file read by the program.

Just for completeness, I also process saved FMP and Ancestry pages to generate Census and, now, Register transcription pages which means I have pages with the same "look and feel" despite all the changes FMP/Ancestry foist upon us :rolleyes: It is a two part process to allow editing and the second part also creates the additional database entries in the appropriate format to update the spreadsheets.

I can also generate a file for FTA to check entered and missing LostCousins data and, to make it easier to add entries, I have just finished a prototype program to list all "family members" not yet entered in a suitable format (and about time too, thinks Peter :) ), though it is yet to include "relationship", certificates etc.

Phil

18. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

In your 1939 register newsletter, Peter, you say:

upload_2016-2-22_11-25-25.png

There is just such a note next to my mother's entry "See page 20". But there's no arrow, nor is she listed twice. And then next to our nanny there is the following:
    upload_2016-2-22_11-27-38.png
    Any ideas, please? Anyone?

19. Susan48

Susan48 LostCousins Superstar

How about "See 6 on sheet ..."??

20. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

Thanks, Susan. Good idea, but where would that get me? Is there any way of finding different pages and sheets if there's no arrow?