1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Spam hits record

Discussion in 'Comments on the latest newsletter' started by At home in NZ, Dec 11, 2021.

1. canadianbeth

canadianbeth LostCousins Star

2. Katie Bee

Katie Bee LostCousins Member

I'm with Bob on this one, better the devil you know. I would much rather eat or drink something with sugar in it than one of the sweeteners.
    My favourite fruit drink reduced the sugar and added one of the sweeteners and I hate the taste.
    SevenUp was always a good way to rehydrate due to the salts and sugars in it, but now I cannot find the sugar version.
    I always gave my children the original Calpol with sugar in it rather than the sugar free version which appeared on the shelves.
    I do buy semi-skimmed milk, but could not go down to skimmed it just doesn't work in tea.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. My mother lived to the ripe old age of 94, she ate and drank what she wanted to and never had a weight or heart problem.
    I am the same.
    Mum was a reasonable cook, she made delicious bread and butter pudding but I could not take to bread pudding.
    I may have mentioned this before, she also made 'rock cakes'. All three of those 'recipes' were a means of dealing with post war effects.

4. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

You're clearly fortunate with your genes - a very good reason to have your DNA tested if you haven't already done so.

Most people aren't do lucky, which is why there are so many obese people in the developed world. For example, in the US 73% of adults are obese or overweight, and most of those are obese or seriously obese.

5. It seems to be a worldwide problem, in my opinion it is not so much as what they eat but the huge quantity they eat combined with lack of the right sort of exercise.
    Invariably when we dine out our plates are piled high, I take one look and feel full up already.

6. peter

Whatever the reason for other people getting obese, you clearly inherited something highly beneficial from your mother - so there's a good chance there is something special about your genes. However you won't necessarily pass it on to your children, who each inherit only half of your DNA - that's why it's important for the earliest surviving generation to test.

7. Why is it so important, I don't really understand.
    In order to find an ancestor of my mother's who lived anywhere near as long (94) I have to go back to my 5th ggm, she died age 91 in 1830. This 5th ggm is a direct paternal ancestor of my mother.

8. peter

Because, as implied by my previous post, some DNA gets lost with every generation. You inherited your mother's ability to match her food intake to her metabolic requirements, but you might not have done - because half of your DNA came from your father.

9. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

Yes you are quite right Peter, perhaps I have entered the 'Old Codger' time of life (a reminder from reading the Daily Mirror years ago -a widely read and influential paper at the time - and enjoying their 'Old Codgers' column). It was the place where great pearls of wisdom were meted out; for example:

Male Bus conductor: (addressing an overweight lady passenger who took time getting out of her seat): "If you ate more yeast Madam, you would rise better"
    Female passenger: "And if you ate more yeast young man, you would be better bred"

I may still not be deserving the term 'old'. In speaking on the phone on Sunday to my 93 year old Aunt (as this is a Genealogical Forum, actually a once removed cousin) she reminds I will always be 'Young Bobby' to her. That is because when my sister was born and I was approaching 3 in age, she would accompany my mother to the Natal Clinic to 'mind' me whilst Mom got on with new baby duties. (Apparently I was 'into everything' if left unattended. So the family decided someone had to accompany my mother to keep me out of trouble). (Even so the affection she has for me and we -my wife included - for her is palpable.)

But as the family Patriarch (direct line only as there may be a few older Codgers related by marriage down the line) I am regarded as good old Granddad, Uncle -including 'Great' versions of both - plus Cousin and of course Brother and Father. Here I cannot escape the fact I am old (or older) and my daughter affectionately reminds of the fact, adding...'and sometimes out of touch'. (How true:()

However all is not lost with upcoming generations as even my daughter believes in some of the 'Lite' and 'Lo' ideologies and includes a few of her own, like herbal and fruit flavoured teas and a selection of (so called) healthy coffees including de-Caf . To be fair she knows not to suggest any of these when we visit as all we want is a plain cup of tea or instant coffee - Milk, no Sugar.

So I will end on the one note where we seem to agree which is Milk. However not fresh milk but the everlasting UHT variety, which you may be pleased to know is always Semi-skimmed. Even my daughter agrees with that. In my first marriage village life days my (then) wife's uncle was the village Milkman, and we had 'Whole' Milk but the top of the milk was always poured off to make milk puddings.

Finally my sister in Australia drinks Soy Milk (or has it in tea or coffee) and even my daughter has not got around to that as far as I know. But I think she has experimented with Almond Milk. (No wonder I am out of touch).

Last edited: Dec 14, 2021
  10. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

I think these two quotes just received in my email fit nicely here - (both tongue in cheek of course):

"Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat"

"The Cardiologist's diet: If it tastes good spit it out"