1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Somme Mud

Discussion in 'Military records' started by Carla, May 12, 2014.

1. Carla

Carla LostCousins Star

Not really a resource, as such, but I wanted to recommend a book I have just finished reading. With all the interest in WW1 at the moment the book title 'Somme Mud' caught my eye. I haven't been able to pinpoint my grandfather's records yet :( and so it was while checking some of my other ancestors for inclusion in Lives of the First World war that I came across one who was awarded a Military Medal for bravery under fire during the Battle of the Somme. This book really brought it home to me exactly what it was like during that time. There is humour, tragedy and bravery in these memories written by Private Lynch in 1919. I have learnt so much, and have a new admiration for all those who went into battle.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2