1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Sharing group photos

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by jorghes, Dec 10, 2015.

1. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

I am unsure how to approach this particular issue, so I will share it here to see what everyone else thinks!

My grandfather served in the British Navy towards the end of World War II as a mechanic who worked on aeroplanes, with three different "ships" (one I'm fairly sure was not actually a ship, but rather a land base with a ship name - carrying the "HMS" tag). In his effects (he died in the late 1980s), along a record of his service, were three photos.

Each photo seems to be of those he worked with on his "ships", two involve sailors/mechanics sitting along the wings of planes that they worked on (no "famous" planes, as they were not airforce!), a couple show people who could be officers. One of the photos has names inscribed on the back, although a lot of them I struggle to read.

I have thought about contacting the one group I have found which relates to one of the ships that my grandfather served on, although all of the posts seem to involve the pilots rather than the mechanics/carpenters and I don't know if my photos include any pilots for that particular ship (all bar one are dressed as sailors.)

I have also though about contacting a service like <deleted by moderator> to help me identify the ranks and badges on some of those who have them, and see what they think. Are there any other places that I could share the scans I have of these photos to see if anyone else's family is in them?

With the help of my brother (who knows airplanes) and my grandfather's service record, the photos are related to the HMS Heron (I'm fairly sure this was a land base), the HMS Deersound and the aircraft carrier the HMS Indefatigable (we also have a lovely photo of this particular ship).

I have seen all the work that has gone into items like this for World War I, and I would happily share these three photos with people whose family served with these ships, but I don't know how to go about finding them!

I can upload both scans of the photos and scans of the names on the back of the photo I am fairly sure comes from my grandfather's service on the HMS Indefatigable. (It is the only photo without a plane in it to help with identification!)

Any discussion or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2015