1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Shared match with my cousin's daughter but not the mother

Discussion in 'DNA Questions and Answers' started by BarbaraL, Aug 6, 2022.

1. BarbaraL

BarbaraL Member

I find this odd. I think I have found two "cousins" where "shared matches" list Clara, but not her mother Johanna, my first cousin. Surely if Clara has a bit of matching DNA to someone matching me, she must have got it from her mother. How can it skip a generation?

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

On the basis of the facts provided the obvious answer is that the connection is through Clara's father. Note that in general it is better not to mention names but to quote cM.

3. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

Hello Barbara, I'm wondering if your problem of shared matches with daughter but not mother is due to a combination of the 20 cM cut-off Ancestry impose on shared matches and the downgrading of matches due to the filtering system (TIMBER algorithm) they use. That's a bit of gobbledygook, so let me explain:

I have counted 8 cases where my son has a match of >20 cM with someone but where my match is <20 cM with the same person. So my son would show up in shared matches with these people but I wouldn't. Likewise my husband has 4 such matches where he has <20 cM but our son has >20 cM with the same person. In each case my (or my husband's) match has been downgraded from >20 cM to <20 cM but our son's hasn't. For example, one of my matches has an 'unweighted' shared DNA of 24 cM (for both me and my son). This has been reduced to 14 cM for me but 22 cM for my son. Similar situation for the others. I'm not totally sure why this is, something to do with statistics - maybe Peter could shed more light? But it would certainly have an effect on the 'shared matches' list. You don't know how many cM your two "cousins" share with Clara or her mother, just that it's >20 cM with Clara (and yourself) but less with her mother.

4. BarbaraL

BarbaraL Member

Thank you Helen, very helpful. Yes, down near the 20 cM line things appear to get pretty tricky!

5. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Yes, Barbara, this is one of the reasons why it would have been better to quote precise cM in the first place.

You can read all about Ancestry's TIMBER algorithm (and other factors) here.