1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Scottish Gazetteer

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by ColinT, Dec 21, 2014.

1. ColinT

ColinT New Member

Hi
    I've just joined the forum and thought I should also recommend this site. Since the original post, a lot of new records have been transcribed, such as the Ornance Survey Year Books giving detailed discriptions of places and even individual cottages. Yes, access is by subscription but you can also volunteer to transcribe, which for a couple of hours her week, gives you free access.

Also, although, the original poster is correct in that the taxes related to the well-off, mamy records include the names of the servants. Maybe only useful if your ancestor had an unusual name or you knew in advance who their employer was or where they worked.

However, a really useful feature of the site, which does not require a subscription or registration, is the ability to look up a place name. How often have you been reading an original document but can't quite make out the place name but know that it is in, for example, 'Carluke, Lanark'.

Type your place name into the search box at the top of the screen.

In my view this is a highly recommended site for those with Scottish ancestry.

Regards

ColinT

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2014
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 2
  2. barbarajoh

barbarajoh LostCousins Member

Interested that you can transcribe and get free access, Colin. I didn't know that and had told myself I just couldn't afford another subscription. But don't mind giving to get back. Just joined too.

Barbara

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2014