1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Royal Marine Research

Discussion in 'Military records' started by Colin, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Colin

Colin New Member

A helpful site if tracing Royal Marine ancestors is The Royal Marines Museum.
    This site has a lot of useful information of Marine history.

Another site if tracing naval history is The Fleet Airarm. Their research depatment has a contact phone number & are happy to carry out simple research quires by phone.

• Useful Useful x 3
  2. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Hi Colin, because web addresses can be long and difficult to read in posts, we suggest that use words like "The Royal Marines Museum" and then create the link from these words.
    Can you update these 2 references and then I can remove this post.
    Cheers

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. CarolB08

CarolB08 LostCousins Member

Hi all, I have been researching my husbands (in the words of my FTM programme) 3rd Great Grand Uncle John Pennock from Rivenhall, Essex today, he according to the 1841 census was a Navy pensioner. According to the 1851 census he was a railway station porter in Chelmsford but also a Greenwich pensioner. I have been looking here and found two baptisms of his children and his marriage. The baptisms give his occupation as a Serjeant RM, I have found this on FMP.

On April 13 1831 he signed up to the Royal Navy at Chatham in Kent, he was 20 years old.
    His rank was Pte. 3rd Cl. RM (need to find out what this means) and he served on board the ship Curacoa.
    The reference details are;
    Chatham Division, 21st Coy.
    Archive reference (ADM) 37/8959
    Record set British Royal Navy personnel 1831
    Category Military, armed forces & conflict
    Subcategory Service Records
    Collections from Great Britain

Does RM mean Royal Marine or something else? I have been looking on the web site that Colin mentioned but can not find anything that fits the above details. I have looked on The National Archives web site but can not find any thing relevant to him.
    Am I missing somewhere to search for more information on him? I am at a loss to know where to look next.
    Thank you in advance.
    Carol

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Hi Carol, I found an interesting piece here. And found this on HMS Curacoa.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  5. Carolyn

Carolyn LostCousins Member

Hi Carol, I did a Google search for "Greenwich pensioner" and one of the entries was for a page at The NationalArchives for Royal Navy rating's penisons. It doesn't look like much of it is online.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  6. CarolB08

I have been doing a google search myself and found this interesting forum on Naval Ships. I have joined and am waiting approval. It looks a really interesting site.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  7. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

"Pte. 3rd Cl. RM" will be Private 3rd Class, Royal Marines.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  8. CarolB08

Thank you folks, I have been trying to find him on the National Archives web site but it seems that most of what I would need to look at is not digitised yet. :( Still I have found out more about him in the last few days than in the last years so I am positive at some time I will find out more about him.