1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Returning a WWI medal to the descendants of John Ford of Hamilton

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Britjan, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

Based on the interest generated by the wedding ring I wonder if anybody feels like taking up this challenge?
    Here is a news item from today's paper that reads in part ...
    " Military medal found in Hamilton prompts search for soldier

Medal from First World War soldier named John Ford of Hamilton was found 50 years ago.

Hamilton Spectator
    A Manitoulin Island couple is hoping to locate descendants of a First World War soldier to pass on a service medal found on the Mountain half a century ago.

The medal with the name J. Ford and service number 28535 was picked up by the side of Nebo Road 50 years ago by then Mount Hope resident Paul Whelan.

"I was riding my bike, coming back from a buddy's place and I just happened to notice something shiny in the gravel along the side of the road. I thought it was a quarter or silver dollar and it happened to be this medal." he says.

"I just took it home and put it in a little box I had."

As the years went by, he forgot about it.

But several weeks ago the medal resurfaced — right around the time he saw a newspaper article about Dave Thomson of St. George, who has "repatriated" hundreds of military medals to families and museums." Here's the complete link .
    As I am working I can't take it on today apart from going to the IWM site and remembering John . It's a chance to explore Canadian records for those of you have world wide subscriptions and some of the free ones mentioned in the resources.

2. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

Took a few minutes on my lunch hour to gather a bit more information from the attestation papers and confirm his wife as Margaret both born in Ireland. So the trail spreads, John was born in Londonderry but I cannot decipher the name of the town.

3. geewhiz09

geewhiz09 Member

John Ford
    Regimental Number: 28535
    Survived War: Yes
    Force: Army
    Regiment: Canadian Infantry
    Battalion: Canadian Infantry
    Enlisted or Conscripted: Enlisted
    Prior Military Experience: Yes
    Enlistment Date: September 21, 1914
    Age at Enlistment: 32
    Enlisted at: Valcartier, Quebec
    Civilian Occupation: Labourer
    Survived
    Date of Birth: December 13, 1882
    Next of Kin: Maggie Ford, Wife, 289 Bay St. N., Hamilton, Ontario
    Place of Birth: Londonderry, County Derry
    Country of Birth: Ireland
    Height: 5 Feet 8 Inches
    NAC Reference: ^r3191 - 27
    Canadian Infantry
    Previous service with the 91st Regiment (Hamilton, Ontario) Militia.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  4. geewhiz09

geewhiz09 Member

John Ford
    Maggie Thomas
    Marriage: Jul - Sep 1907 Coleraine 1 631 refers

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  5. Carolyn

Carolyn LostCousins Member

Possible entry in 1921 census - right place. Has wife's name as Mayaret, but looks like Margaret to me. She is 39 and son John is 6.
    Name: John Ford
    Marital Status: Married
    Birth Year: abt 1883
    Birth Place: Ireland
    Relation to Head of House: Head
    Spouse's Name: Mayaret Ford
    Father Birth Place: Ireland
    Mother Birth Place: Ireland
    Year of Immigration: 1909
    Racial or Tribal Origin: Irish
    Province or Territory: Ontario
    District: Hamilton West
    District Number: 88
    Sub-District: Ward No 4
    Sub-District Number: 23
    City, Town or Village: Hamilton
    Street or Township: 21 Windsor St
    Municipality: Ward 4
    Income: 720

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  6. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

Just a quick note that there is some controversy about Dave Thomson and a variety of views on his "repatriation" efforts. All of which makes me think that in general "remembering" the soldiers of WWI at the IWM "Lives" site is one of the best efforts we can make. I had hoped this might be a good way to draw attention to Lost Cousins and our forum. It appears John falls between any of the applicable censuses to make him eligible to be listed at LC but never mind we can press on a bit and see what materialises.

7. geewhiz09

geewhiz09 Member

Think this may be the travel info for the Fords' destination Hamilton.
    John Ford age 26, Irish, Glasgow to Montreal dep 12 Jun 1909 ship Hesperian.
    Mrs M Ford age 27, Irish, Glasgow to Montreal dep 11 Sep 1909 ship Ionian.
    (Brother) Hugh Ford age 26, Irish, Londonderry to Montreal 21 May 1911 ship Ionian.
    Possible burial details
    Name Cemetery County Township Reference
    FORD, John White Chapel Memorial Gardens Wentworth Hamilton HM-170-1
    FORD, John Y. White Chapel Memorial Gardens Wentworth Hamilton HM-170-1
    FORD, Margaret White Chapel Memorial Gardens Wentworth Hamilton HM-170-1
    FORD, Margaret (McGregor) White Chapel Memorial Gardens Wentworth Hamilton HM-170-1

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  8. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

The "we" at the moment is geewhiz who has also been in private communication with me with updates so I wanted to publicly thank him for pressing on. I got a bit side tracked with the whole "remembering" thing and the current state of the IWM project.