1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Renewing Ancestry subscription

Discussion in 'Ancestry' started by canadianbeth, Sep 14, 2020.

1. canadianbeth

canadianbeth LostCousins Star

My six-month subscription ran out today. Of course, as others had suggested, I had already cancelled so my cc was not billed, at least I expect it was not since when I tried looking something up just now I was informed that I should subscribe. :) I was going to wait until I received an e-mail regarding signing up again but now, since I could not find what I was looking for, decided to check out the options. So my question is - what is "All Access"? I have the option to subscribe monthly, which I would initially do, or annually if I thought it was worth the cost. Nowhere on the site can I find just what this is. I have comparisons between Canada Discovery, Discovery Plus or World Deluxe; this last is what I have had the past few years. What does All Access give that World Deluxe does not, and is it worth the extra cost?

2. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

Is All Access the one that gives you membership for Fold3 and their Newspapers site?

3. canadianbeth

I had to Google Fold3; it appears to be just American military records, which are not really of much use to me. And newspapers.com says it is also mostly U.S., with some Canada and others. I think All Access would not be worth it for me.

4. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

I think that's the same decision I made last time I subscribed.

5. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

I assume you've checked on your DNA Summary page to see if there are any subscription offers? I've taken out half-price subscriptions that way for the past few years.

6. VTinOZ

VTinOZ Member

I also came to that conclusion.
    Sometimes local family history sites have links to great subscription deals & of course Peter often posts here or in the newsletter when Ancestry specials are available.
    I've also found that if I tick the 'too expensive' box when I cancel that Ancestry then send an email with a better offer.

7. Helen7

I do the same. Ancestry don't send me any emails, but the offers have always appeared on my DNA Summary page as soon as my previous sub expired.

8. VTinOZ

VTinOZ Member

Speaking of Ancestry has anyone else had trouble logging in this evening/morning.
    I have tried a number of times in the last few hours only to be met by some strange pale box with something about ip addresses & unusually high activity, click here to resolve the problem!
    I'm not clicking there but it has really annoyed me.

9. canadianbeth

I do not see a DNA Summary page, but under My Account, I see that right now I am just a Registered Guest. When I log in I am given the option to join and become a member. But it is only one day since my subscription ended.

10. Helen7

By DNA Summary page, I mean the one from the DNA menu called 'Your DNA Results Summary'. I think some people call it the DNA Dashboard. The offers have appeared towards the bottom of that page.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  11. canadianbeth

Ok, I see that. I had never scrolled down past the top part that gives my name, story, matches and thrulines. Now it says sign up now and save 50%. I will check that out.

12. A. Muse

A. Muse LostCousins Member

Sadly some of the UK military records are also on Fold3, which means with my subscription I cannot access them.

13. canadianbeth

Well, this is interesting. Previously, the last two six-month subscriptions cost me $131.94C, and if I sign up again under My Account, that is what is listed. However, when I click on the special offer at the bottom of the DNA page I am offered a 12-month subscription for just $141.94. That is a substantial difference, to say the least. And they know who I am so are aware that I have subscribed before this.

14. Helen7

Yes, that's exactly what happened to me. From My Account, it was £69.99 for 6 months, whereas from the DNA page it was £59.99 for a year. Guess which I chose?

• Agree Agree x 1