1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Recording Information

Discussion in 'Search tips - discussion' started by Margery, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Margery

Margery LostCousins Member

I also have accumulated an enormous amount of information relating to the family history of both my husband and myself. "One day" I'll deal with it :). One must be prepared to invest quite a lot of time to the task, though.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

One needs a 'system':confused: I have for example, 'census year' files, but still have to trawl thro' them to find a particular one (although they are labelled). I'm wondering whether to have individual files or maybe family-group files? Original files/images of parish BMDs are also difficult to browse...mmm, yes a lot of time to be invested.

3. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

I am similarly awful with paper records hence I digitise everything and attach it to the source record that applies to every fact from that source. This then means that the computer file takes care of the organisation of the records and I don't need to.

4. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Yes, I don't do paper either, everything is attached to a person.

5. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Alex and Tim, please reveal your methods/systems in simple terms for a simple person:)

6. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

All Family History Software (FHS) allows you to attach images. Alexander and I use Family Tree Maker (FTM) and when you find a census or christening or any sort of record on Ancestry, it will automatically save the image when you create a fact. These images can then be zoomed or printed if required.

Pictures of people or any other records or notes can also be saved.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  7. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

In addition to images from Ancestry I save images of certificates etc I have from other websites eg:Scotland's people or if its info I've obtained from say a book, or paper records I scan it to create an image. Also photos which are typically already digital eg: pics I've taken of gravestones, or I scan it if it's an old photo. This then creates an image to use as the source for the facts I enter.

A lot (most) family history software will allow you to attach sources to the facts you enter. So if you enter a date of birth that is a fact about a person and it's source is the place you got the info from.

By recording the source against a fact I can readily look back at the list of facts I have about a person and be instantly reminded exactly why I recorded that fact as I've noted the source of the fact. This means I can see for example, that I got an approximate date of birth from a census. Or that I estimated it from a death date on a gravestone etc.

By attaching a picture or scan of the source material it means I can look at the facts check the source and view the original image all with a couple of clicks. It takes some discipline but pays massive rewards and is a technique you can adopt at any time.

I certainly didn't start out doing that so most of my sources don't have images but periodically as I revisit entries I'll attach an image I've saved to the source and thus improve my data. So it's easily something that anyone can do to improve their tree.

It's worth it's weight in gold when you find conflicting facts and can with a couple of clicks recheck what the original image said. Often I find I might have originally misread a age or name and find conflicting evidence. In that case being able to recheck without having to rummage through piles of paper which I'd always meant to get round to indexing is a massive timesaver.

So since I adopted the practice I've abandoned any idea of wasting time indexing paper files especially since a computer can manage multiple different indexes for the same paper source simulataneously. It's so much easier therefore to find things and thus get on with actually looking for new info rather than spending the time organising old info.

I'd recommend the practice of adding sources to facts and adding the image to the source to everyone. Even if you start today it will rapidly pay dividends as once entered it's there forever.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  8. SuzanneD

SuzanneD LostCousins Star

I have a series of sub-folders in the genealogy folders on my computer (one for BMD certificates, one for parish records, one for census records, one for wills etc) where I store scans or downloads of original documents, as well as folders for family and place photos. When I save the scan/download I put the person's name, date, and location of the record in the file name (the location in particular is quite important as it's not normally written on the page for parish registers etc.)

Like the others, I'm progressively linking the images to the relevant facts in my family history software. I have found that most software has a provision to change all the relevant links if for any reason you change the location of your image folders (my links even survived a change to new software and a new computer with a different folder structure).

I have been very disciplined as I work through FindMyPast's addition of the scanned parish registers for Devon to download and link images as I go.