1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  3. Both the main LostCousins site and this forum have been upgraded to that you can log-in securely. If you are not automatically taken to the secure site simply add https:// at the beginning of the URL.
  4. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join please register NOW!

Quaker connection?

Discussion in 'Quaker ancestors' started by cinders, Apr 24, 2016.

1. cinders

cinders New Member

My late father told me that his mother Ada Alice Penn b.1890 was a Quaker. However having researched the Penn family back to 1725 I can find no evidence to support this. My Penn family lived in Staffordshire, Monmouthshire and Lancashire. Ada Alice Penn married in a Register Office in Runcorn Cheshire. Is there anywhere I can look for a Quaker connection?

2. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Star

I'm not sure if this applies, but might Ada and her husband (I assume one James Bate married 1915/Runcorn) have converted to the Quaker religion at some point after marrying? So perhaps not an inherited family thing? I say this because in my own line (mid 1800's) I am aware that a family previously strong Baptists and the father in particular falling foul of strict Baptist rules concerning attendance, reputedly decided the family would consider becoming Quakers. As far as I can tell only one of the sons actually took to the Quaker persuasion, but that's a bye the bye, I just wanted to draw attention that people do convert to other religions.

The other thing of course is to say the name Penn -and William Penn in particular (1644-1718) - was a famous early Quaker and of course gave his name to Pennslvania. Perhaps you can trace your Penn line via him or his descendants and perhaps your father had knowledge of this.

Ancestry by the way has an awful lot about the life and work of William Penn and fair number of records concerning Quakers in its Card Catalogue although with a lean to US Quakers. FMP also has Quaker records within its Record sets.