1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Problems with .Net

Discussion in 'Family Tree Analyzer' started by DavidL, Apr 14, 2015.

1. DavidL

DavidL LostCousins Member

I can't install because of a NET error [ClickOnce stopped working]. Apparently it's common under Win 7. I downloaded a NET diagnostic which can't find any problems and I have no outstanding Windows updates, so I'm stymied.

2. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

David did you read the notes on the website to uninstall any prior version before clicking on the download link? If you still have a version prior to v5.0.0.0 hanging around then the update won't work. Note also you MUST run the initial install of v5.0.0.2 from the website you CANNOT upgrade by running any links you had on your desktop. This is because as I said in my last post the certificate has upgraded so it needs a clean install.

If that doesn't work the program requires .Net 4.0.0 or above. What version do you have installed? Check Control Panel | Programs and Features to see what version is installed it's called Microsoft .Net Framework.

3. DavidL

There are no older versions on the computer. It is a laptop running W7 I am using as a gradual transition from my desktop running XP Pro.
    Version 4.5.2 NET.

4. DavidL

PS: Loads OK in Win XP but I'm aware of the obsolesence warning.

5. Alexander Bisset

So what is the actual error you get when you click on the download link from the website?

6. DavidL

I'm not on the laptop at the moment, so I can't go into detail but I scrawled a note that fault was CLR20r3 dfsvc.exe. I Googled and found lotsa reports of this failure over the last few years [and some intense registry changes to rectify]. It's identified as a NET fault linked to Winows media, although I think that means media applcations for shopping rather than music. Quite a few gamers have moaned about it.

7. Alexander Bisset

I can't see how it would be linked to Windows Media the dfsvc.exe is the Distributed Filesystem Replication Service. Ie: the process that is involved with copying files to your machine.

If the installer is unable successfully to copy files then it's not surprising that the process fails. This suggests a somewhat fundamental problem with your PC unrelated to FTAnalyzer. The most likely cause is malware or a Trojan. Which AntiMalware program do you use? Note NOT AntiVirus program AntiMalware, not all antivirus programs try to find and deal with Malware, and some that do are SHOCKINGLY bad at finding it. Eg: in a recent test Microsofts Windows Defender failed to find 41% of malware on a PC.

8. Alexander Bisset

Another thought in case it's something interfering with the installer. If you download the FTAnalyzer-v5.0.0.2-exe version.zip file and unzip that to a folder of your choice does that work? You run the program by clicking on the FTAnalyzer.exe file once you unzip the contents of the zip file.

9. DavidL

Same result.
    Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
    Problem Signature 01: FTAnalyzer.exe
    Problem Signature 02: 1.0.0.0
    Problem Signature 03: 5529bb29
    Problem Signature 04: System.Drawing
    Problem Signature 05: 4.0.30319.34209
    Problem Signature 06: 53489a75
    Problem Signature 07: 675
    Problem Signature 08: 0
    Problem Signature 09: System.ArgumentException
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
    Locale ID: 2057
    Additional Information 1: 0a9e
    Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
    Additional Information 3: 0a9e
    Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

And to answer the earlier question, Malwarebytes shows no nasties on the machine, nor soes SymantecEndpoint Small Business edition.

10. Alexander Bisset

Interesting David that suggests it is failing to load during startup whilst it is trying to draw the main form. The most likely cause is that it is failing to find a specific file. Although given the line "System.ArgumentException" that suggests it has an invalid parameter when trying to draw something which might suggest its trying to draw something off screen? To test that theory what is your screen resolution?

To find the real root cause it needs to have a debugging tool tell me what function ID 675 is. I MIGHT be able to do that on my own PC tonight failing that I'm a bit stumped. If you are willing to persevere I could create a dummy stripped down version with lots of debugging code in it that would see what its trying to do on startup. Alternatively if you are able to run the Ildasm debugging tool that would help as well.

11. Alexander Bisset

David looking at the code it suggests that method 675 is "CallGoogleReverseGeocode" however this shouldn't be called when you initially start the program. Can you confirm please when do you get this error? Is it you click on FTAnalyzer.exe from the unzipped folder (note you cannot start it successfully if you haven't unzipped everything first). Or is it after the program is started and you try to do something?

12. DavidL

Sorry for any delays but I have to keep switching from this desktop with my email to the laptop downstairs running W7.
    Anyhoo, the error comes immediately on clicking the EXE within the download folder.
    I nose nuffink of Ildasm. Will Google and run if I can, but I'm no tekkie so it might be better to try the stripped down version.

13. Alexander Bisset

Ah ok then its likely to be the registration of DLLs. Are you running 64bit or 32bit Windows 7?

Hint: look at the folders in the root of the C drive if there is both a program files and a program files (x86) folder then you are running 64 bit.

Alternatively if that doesn't show either this simple test from Microsoft will give the answer.

14. Alexander Bisset

Also interestingly the current version of System.Drawing (the module at fault is v4.0_4.0.0.0) your version is 4.0.30319.34209 which does suggest something isn't quite right with your .Net installation as you said there were no updates showing in Windows update yet clearly there is an update that your machine hasn't installed. Could it be in "Optional updates?"

When you ran the .Net Framework checker what versions did it say were installed? The log file from that checker could give me a clue.

15. DavidL

I just uploaded yesterday's log as a file. It is listed below but I'm not sure this is the correct way to do things.

Attached Files:

16. Alexander Bisset

Thanks the interesting part is "Detected operating system: Windows 7 (x86)" because I think 4 GB is far too little RAM for what I need to do these days I've never used 32bit Windows 7. So it is entirely possible that the build is failing to pickup some 32bit files that are required. Those missing files would indeed cause you issues.

I'll see if I can find a Windows 7 x86 build ISO in the meantime you could try Dependency Walker if you open the FTAnalyzer.exe file in that program (you need the x86 version) then it would show you any required files that are missing. The most likely cause is that in the zip file I've left out a dependency that is required for x86 versions of Windows 7 but not x64 versions such as I have and is nowadays the most common type.

17. DavidL

Blimey! The laptop in only three years old. The 32-bit is/was standard issue and I would be surprised if most LostCuz members were up to 64-bit. The native 4 gig is also more than I have had on any machine and nothing else chokes.
    I've only just upgraded my old Dell desktop to 3 gig and FTA flies with that under Win XP Pro. In fact, it was perfectly happy with 2 gig.

Anway, the analysis was splashed with red but makes little sense to me. I did a save and it produced a dwi file that the forum software won't let me upload because it has the wrong extension.

18. Alexander Bisset

No 32 bit was always the backwards compatible option from the day Windows 7 was launched. The vast majority of Windows 7 sales are 64 bit. Windows 8 & 8.1 are of course 64 bit only. However if you only have 4GB there is really nothing to worry about that will all be used by Windows 7 32bit. It just means that it is utterly pointless adding more RAM above 4GB as 32bit Windows 7 can never use more the 4GB even if the machine has physically more than that. Since I use things like the Visual Studio application to write the program and I use programs like VMware Workstation to run test machines I need a lot of RAM and currently run with 16GB.

I'll send you a private forum message with my email address if you could email me directly please.

Incidentally I created a Windows 7 32bit Virtual Machine a fresh install with SP1 pre-installed, but NO windows updates. I downloaded FTAnalyzer zip file and ran it. It gave me an error saying .Net 4.0 Client wasn't installed. I clicked the link on the installation instructions page of FTAnalyzer and downloaded & installed .Net Client 4.0. Once the .Net 4.0 Client was installed I re-ran FTAnalyzer.exe and it worked first time.

BTW when you ran the setup verifying tool which .Net version did you ask it to check? The one to check is ".Net Framework 4 Client" the dropdown list on the checker will have defaulted to ".Net Framework 2.0."

I looked through the file you uploaded there should however have been a companion errors file at C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\setupverifier_errors_04-14-15_20.48.40.txt. This is the important one.