1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Prisoners of war records at Find My Past

Discussion in 'Latest news' started by emjay, Sep 4, 2015.

1. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Just found the two Japanese prisoners of war in my wife's family.
    We lived much of our married life in the same house that one of these two uncles of hers had previously lived, (both uncles survived the appalling experience). It seemed so strange to read our former address, handwritten, on the record from the P.O.W. camp.
    Both these scanned images show home address and civilian occupation, some Japanese writing/characters also.

2. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

I've now found the records for my first cousin's husband, who was captured at the downfall of Singapore in 1942. Like emjay's wife's uncles he survived the experience (in Thailand) and was released in 1945. Although a professor of economics by profession, his all-consuming hobby was genealogy. For some reason, long before I had the least interest in the subject, he gave me family trees he'd compiled for three branches of his wife's family, so my family, too. Luckily, despite my total lack of interest in those days, I hung onto the trees. They've been invaluable. The sad thing is that he moved to Australia, where he died, and I was never able to share my findings with him.

3. Susan48

Susan48 LostCousins Superstar

How pleased he would have been that you had carried on his work, Gillian. Perhaps he had some premonition that one day you would build on those trees.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

Yes, that's right. But best of all - his grandson, so my first cousin twice removed, has now also discovered an interest in family history, and I've been able to share his grandfather's findings with him. And, yes, he's joined Lost Cousins.

• Agree Agree x 1