1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Printing

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by Tim, Apr 28, 2014.

1. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

I read on the forum about people liking the printed reports from one FHS compared to another, and others who always print off a census when they find it.

But I don't print anything out. Am I the only one that doesn't print? :confused:

I'm happy to run the reports and view them on the screen, but why would I want to print it? Maybe it's my design background, from work it's always been drummed into us that as soon as you print something off, then its potentially out of date. Now obviously census's don't change, but why the need to print it? I used to cut and paste the census info into Notes on my old software but my current one (FTM2012) adds all the data to all the family members selected and adds a copy of the image as part of the source citation, and I can view the image whether I'm online or offline.

Is it old habits that are just too hard to die?

I just think of all the extra time it takes to print and file, and then there's the money, paper and ink cartridges?!

There is even software now where you can scribble notes, add links, copy reports to etc, basically a notepad with the extra ability of you to search it.

So what are you and why, do you print or do you not?

2. alanmack

alanmack LostCousins Member

Personally I print practically nothing these days. I have to run my printer regularly so that it doesn't dry up!:(

How do I get away with it? I have installed a PDF 'pseudo' printer. and have it set as the default printer. These bits of software have improved immensely from a decade ago and provided you stick to regular fonts the PDF files are very small and, of course, are readily readable by other people regardless of which version of whichever word processor they own.

Not only are many of the PDF readers free software (and Open Source) but also a whole slew of PDF Printers. I use PDFCreator but I hear CutePDF is good and there are plenty of others.

• Good tip Good tip x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Tim

Perhaps it's worth mentioning that I regularly sync my online tree with my PC tree, and monthly update to Dropbox.

4. alanmack

alanmack LostCousins Member

While we are on the subject, if I ever need to print a webpage I want the content not all the decoration, especially large multi-coloured graphics that use up all your ink. As I use Firefox I have installed the Add-on for it called PrintEdit. It's big! It's powerful! But at the basic level quite simple to use. You highlight the elements of the HTML page you don't want and press the delete key. And it's no longer there. You can just make it invisible or lose the item entirely so that the page closes up. This helps to get the content of long webpages onto the minimum paper. Explore I urge you if you are a Firefox user.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

PrintEdit sounds interesting - I shall have to check whether there is a Chrome version.

6. Tim

Seems like there is, we could take our pick from this list. PrintFriendly seems to get the thumbs up.

7. Tim

But lets get back on topic please :)

8. Susan48

Susan48 LostCousins Superstar

I do like to have hard copy of my family history as well as on my MacFamilyTree. I think it's partly old habits refusing to die but also I don't always want to look at a screen. Browsing through printouts of census returns - arranged according to my own idiosyncratic but effective filing system - is more relaxing than doing the same thing on a computer screen. I also still use my well-thumbed original card index family tree - a card for each person, arranged alphabetically by first name and within that by date. The system works for me, largely I think because I developed it for my own use. MacFamilyTree probably isn't so very different from other makes of FHS, but the user has to get used to its quirks. It's powerful and useful, but there's a place for hard copy too. And yes, I still prefer a good old-fashioned book to a Kindle - or in my case Kobo!

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. SuzanneD

SuzanneD LostCousins Star

I print virtually nothing - about all I have in hard copy is purchased certificates or photocopied archival material, and I usually scan that as soon as I get them. I tend to download images from original parish registers etc for direct ancestors but I haven't bothered too much for census pages. I also increasingly use print-to-PDF to save and file interesting looking webpages with secondary info or images.

Everything is filed with comprehensive file names and folder structures, and all my genealogy files are backed up to USB stick and Dropbox regularly (I use a sync/backup program to run once a day, if the computer is switched on at the programmed time, which copies any new or changed files to both backup locations).

I used to print out family group sheets and update by hand when I was primarily doing my research hands-on in local library, but now that I've exhausted most of the physical resources for my New Zealand relatives and I'm now almost exclusively researching online, I don't bother.

Having said that, I do quite often print-to-file the reports from my FHS, usually to send extracts of my tree to cousins (to help identify in the first instance whether either of us has significant additional info without having to search through sources in a GEDCOM), or to help with problem and gap analysis - so I appreciate a flexible set of report choices. I also regularly update a Word version of an ahnentafel-style report with all my ancestors and their children, which is formatted for printing but never really gets printed any more now I have an iPad...

• Agree Agree x 1