1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Preserving old documents

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by Gillian, Jun 27, 2015.

1. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

I have a collection of letters written by my grandmother to her mother and grandfather, and also some of their replies, in roughly 1863-1867. As you can imagine, the paper is now discoloured and very fragile. My sister in law rescued the letters several years ago after the death of the aunt who looked after my grandmother and carefully put them in chronological order in a folder with ordinary plastic sleeves. They don't seem to have suffered (yet) from years preserved in this way, but I'm pretty sure the sleeves should be of a special material. Can someone advise me what this is and where I can buy a suitable folder?

2. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Can you scan them?

3. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

Your local library or archives office should be able to give the best advise on storing the letters. I did find this article online

4. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

Yes, I can and will, and am also currently transcribing them. I did both (scan and transcribe) to my father's letters written home in the First World War. I then deposited the originals with the Imperial War Museum, thinking they'd look after them appropriately for me. To my bitter disappointment this did not happen, and I tried, unsuccessfully, to get the letters back. But that's another story. However, what I want to do now is preserve the originals myself. The article linked by Alexander seems to have the answer. Now all I have to do is find acid-free plastic sleeves. Thank you Tim and Alexander.

5. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

Postcard and stamp collectors are keen on acid free sleeves as well and I have seen them on sale at "old paper" shows. I think your major stationery supplier may have a line of products available although they are quite expensive. Do tell us more about your interaction with I.W. M.

6. AnneC

AnneC LostCousins Star

Something like this ?

7. auscrafts

auscrafts LostCousins Member

I get my acid free papers and folders from here

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2015
  8. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Have not used myself but, S&N Genealogy Supplies advertise in WDYTYA magazine (inner front cover)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2015
  9. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

It's not a very happy story and has damaged my confidence in the I.W.M. The letters were written home by my father from the day he enlisted in September 1914 to a few days after he was badly wounded in October 1916. My family agreed it would be a good idea to deposit them with the IWM, as they'd be looked after properly and also made available for other people to read. My contact at the museum was oh so very grateful for my generosity, as they were just what they wanted etc etc etc. Imagine my horror, then, when I visited the museum a couple of years later to discover that the letters, which I had filed carefully in chronological order, had been bundled into an ordinary folder and then made available to the public. People had obviously leafed through them and they were a complete mess, in no order at all. Worst of all, the telegram from the War Office telling my grandmother (avatar) that her son had been severely, possibly fatally, wounded had been ripped in two. I leave you to imagine my reaction. At the time I couldn't do anything about it other than vent my fury at the poor fellow at the desk because they were just closing and there was no one higher than him able to take any responsibility. I was leaving England the next day so had to express my opinion by post. Of course 'they' were full of apologies and promised to put things right. I had, by the way, also given them scanned copies of the letters plus my transcriptions plus a microfilm. I asked them to put the originals away and use only the scanned copies for the public. But for some reason that wasn't possible. Anyhow, last year a nephew went to the museum to check on the condition of the letters and, as far as he could tell, they are now in the right order and the torn telegram has been expertly repaired. But they're still in a simple folder - no sign of any preservation for future generations!

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  10. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

Thank you all very very much. I'll look into your suggestions and see what's best.

11. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Gillian,regarding your account of IWM experience...I'm fuming ...grrr!

12. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

That makes two of us, emjay, though, with time, the flames of fury have died down. The keeper of the Essex Regiment Museum in Chelmsford told me (later) that the museum gets too much material e.g. letters, and that they are unable to handle it. He said mine is not a lone case.

13. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

Oh Gillian I'm sure every genealogist reading your post would be so upset for you. If only they had told you what would happen to the letters I'm sure you would not have let them have them. It is so true that what one man treasures another does not, but they really should have treated your kind offer with more respect.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

You're right of course, Heather. I think what upset me most about the whole business was how pleased and grateful the boss man was when I handed over the letters. He made me feel they were something special and that I was doing "Queen and Country" a great service by depositing the letters with them for safekeeping. Had I known that I was but one of thousands and that they had no facilities to cope with the deluge, I would most certainly have thought again.