1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Preferred Family Tree Programs - Life After TMG

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by RichardJB, Jan 30, 2015.

1. RichardJB

RichardJB LostCousins Member

Hi All
    I have been a happy user of The Master Genealogist for many years. Unfortunately this utility is no longer supported so, at some point, I am going to have to migrate my data to some other program. I just wondered if there are other TMG users out there who have decided where their next port of call will (or will not) be. So far, I am tempted by Family Historian, although I am not completely happy with the offering. What decisions have you other TMGers made - either for or against?

• Great question Great question x 1
  2. patzy

patzy LostCousins Member

I've never used TMG, but for some years now I have been using Gramps which is a free family tree program originally written for linux, but now available for Windows and Mac.
    Apart from being free, it has other advantages. It is being actively developed all the time and users can suggest improvements, which are usually implemented. There are a heap of extras (easily downloaded and integrated into the software) which allow various data manipulations, special graphic and text reports etc. There is also a mailing list where every question asked gets answered.
    There has been a lot of mail about how TMG users can install their trees. Maybe worth a try?

3. MarionK

MarionK Moderator Staff Member

Hi Richard,
    I'm also a happy TMG user, devastated when Bob Velke decided to stop developing the program. I've decided not to abandon ship for the forseeable future. According to other more knowledgeable users (on TMG Rootsweb mailing list), TMG should work well for some years, as it is/will be compatible with Windows 10. There is also a loyal group of users who are very willing to help anybody with support issues.

A TMG Refugees mailing list has been running for a few months, with discussions as to the best alternatives to TMG - Family Historian & RootsMagic seem to be the most popular with those leaving TMG. However neither of these programs is ideal as far as I'm concerned.

I love the flexibility & features of TMG, no other program comes close at the moment. I'm happy to stay put for now & see how the others develop.

4. RichardJB

Thanks. I'm not rushing to change - just wanting to get a feel for where I might, in the end, move my data.

5. RichardJB

Yup, that's pretty much how I feel but I thought I'd test opinions about alternatives anyway because if the IS something that absolutely suitable then a change-over might be the thing to do.

Not associated with family history but as an example of software longevity, I used to work a lot with Lotus Smartsuite programs (123, Access, AmiPro (aka WordPro)). I particularly liked the macro language in 123. These ceased to be supported many years ago but it was only last year that updates to my OS resulted in Access consistently falling over. I have now bowed to the inevitable, shifted all my Lotus files into their Microsoft equivalents and uninstalled SmartSuite. It was good while it lasted!

6. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

A blast from the past indeed. I cut my teeth on Lotus 123 and became pretty proficient, and quite at home with WordPro (as I knew it) which was a relief after some of the more complicated word processor programs that preceded it. (By the way wasn't the Lotus database called 'Approach')? Yes it was a sad day (or so I thought at the time) when Microsoft elbowed Lotus out of the arena and Office became the flagship suite for the world and has few equals today.

It is also a good example of having to move on and not looking favourably upon 'upstart' replacements. In the main new programs oust old because they are better and it is in trying to convince yourself of this wherein lies the problem. It takes time and some do not accept new for old and that often includes me.:(

7. RichardJB

Approach - you're quite right - galloping senility is clearly getting me!

As for moving on, well "There is a season......". I'm going to soldier on for a while with TMG and see how things play out.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  8. RichardJB

Yes - I remember battling with various mark-up languages that were a real pain.

• Agree Agree x 1