1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Potato Crisps a bit of history is missing!

Discussion in 'Comments on the latest newsletter' started by A. Muse, Mar 5, 2024.

1. A. Muse

A. Muse LostCousins Member

In his latest newsletter Peter suggests that flavoured crisps arrived in the 1960's.
    In the early 1950's probably 1953 or 1954 our local fish and chip shop sold packets of Oxo flavoured crisps.
    (I could be wrong they might have been Marmite flavoured) I think they went by the name of Crispo or something similar. They were obviously something commercially produced and not something cooked up in the shop.

The fish and chip was Kosky's in Prince Regents Lane, Plaistow, East London (now in the London Borough Of Newham).

Anyone else remember them?

2. LynSB

LynSB LostCousins Member

I remember OXO crisps from school trips to the swimming baths. They were considered a real treat. Those trips were in the late 1950s.

3. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

I bought Wagon Wheels when I went swimming - Ilford Swimming Baths was the only place that sold them.

The BBC website which provided a lot of the background for my article was archived in 2009, so can't be updated.

It's Prince Regent Lane, by the way - no 's'.

4. A. Muse

A. Muse LostCousins Member

Thanks for the correction Peter. It was just the way my parents and grand parents said it that I remembered - it probably slipped off off the tongue more easily without the hard 't' at the end. Hopefully other East Enders will remember more about these crisps and who made them. Seems a shame that things get written in stone and repeated until they become fact.