1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Possible lost Uncle and cousins found

Discussion in 'Meeting my 'lost cousin'' started by CarolB08, Aug 1, 2019.

1. CarolB08

CarolB08 LostCousins Member

Just last week my Brother and I were contacted on Ancestry via a comment left on a photograph of our Father who was as we had thought a Polish displaced person. This man left us the correct spelling for the village he was born both in Polish and Ukrainian. I mearly thanked him but my Brother messaged him and asked how he knew of our Father. THey had a brief conversation and we thought no more of it.
    Then a few days ago I got a message on facebook messenger and my Brother got a message on Ancestry both said the same thing " Are you looking for information about relatives of S*****n M*****k, who was born in Kusnishcha village?
    I looked at this for a while and when I realised he had sent the same message to my Brother I decided to reply and asked him what he knew about him. He responded that he had good news for us and that he thought he had found the Granddaughter of my Fathers Parents! Well you can imagine this has floored the pair of us as we thought all of Dads relatives had perished in WW2.
    Long story short my Brother has been messenging her through google translate and facebook and they have exchanged several family photographs the latest of which are uncannily similar.
    I really want to ask her is the family would be willing to do a dna test but am not sure how to broach such a sensitive subject or if they are allowed or available in the Ukraine ?

2. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

Wow... that is incredible, and oh so lucky! Finding relatives like that which are so close are wonderful things for helping taking lines back further, and I personally love photos.

Just a point about the entire Polish/Ukrainian thing, the borders have changed so many times that some villages may originally have been in Poland and now be in Ukraine and vise versa.

I'm not sure about the DNA question, but I would love to know some ways - I want to ask my mother's paternal cousins to take DNA tests - luckily they live in the UK so I know there is access.

3. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Ancestry sell DNA tests in Poland, but not in Ukraine - however, that doesn't mean it's illegal to test in Ukraine.

4. Liberty

Liberty LostCousins Megastar

Thanks for telling us about this, Carol - the sort of thing to make one cheer out loud