1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Peek Frean Biscuits - a lasting memory of my youth

Discussion in 'Comments on the latest newsletter' started by At home in NZ, Oct 19, 2022.

1. Thanks Peter for providing the links to the fascinating history of the biscuit factory.
    I have often Googled Peek Frean biscuit factory but somehow it never struck gold.
    I remember commuting by train from London Bridge Station and seeing the Peek Frean sign on the building shortly after leaving the station.
    I came to live in NZ in 1973 but never returned until 2004, I took a train on a nostalgic trip from London Bridge to where I used to live, the Peek Frean sign had gone and nobody I spoke to could remember the biscuits.
    I remember them vividly, they were the only brand of biscuits mum would have in the house, my favourite being the bourbon.
    Mum's favourite was the custard cream, I was not a fan.
    Looking at the illustrations in the links, I saw 'petite beurre' which I had forgotten about, my mouth could almost feel the taste as I looked at the picture, they were the best plain biscuits ever!

The tin in the centre of attachment was instantly recognisable as the tin my mum has used for some of her sewing equipment. I am now scratching my head to remember what happened to it. I am sure she brought it to NZ and possibly took it with her when she moved to Brisbane

Attached Files:

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  2. canadianbeth

canadianbeth LostCousins Star

Peek Frean cookies (biscuits) are easily available here in Canada. I often purchase the shortbread ones.

3. I'm not surprised as I have now discovered Peak Frean is Mondelez, a North American company.
    As far as I am aware the only bourbon biscuits still come from England and are sold in packets with the name of Crawford's on them. The takeovers in the biscuit making business are hard to keep up with so I'm not entirely sure who actually makes them.

That leads me to another childhood memory, Crawford's cream crackers.