1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Parent's Marriage Certificate

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by janeinspain, Mar 27, 2021.

1. janeinspain

janeinspain New Member

My parents married in 1949. On the certificate it states that my father was "formerly married to (his first wife's married name), formerly (her maiden name) Spinster from whom he obtained a divorce.

Does anyone know when the practice of naming previous wives and husbands stopped.

Thank you

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Presumably they married in a register office?

3. janeinspain

janeinspain New Member

Yes they did.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  4. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

Yes very Register office practice. I have one marriage certificate where the bride is shown under the same surname as her husband and alongside a note (Name changed by Deed Poll). In the Condition column - actually for both parties - there is a note 'Previous marriage dissolved'. No mention of a maiden name as such, but as her father's name is shown, not too hard to work out. The marriage took place in a Register Office in the 1970's