1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

OPENING THE NEWSLETTER & CLICKING ON LINKS

Discussion in 'Comments on the latest newsletter' started by Bob Spiers, Nov 7, 2014.

1. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

I have been in touch via email with Peter to discuss the problems I have encountered in opening LC Newsletters (from the email) and clicking on links. The problem with opening the actual Newsletter was simply that my AOL/IE (cut down) browser refused to accept the full link so did not work at all or defaulted to Lost Cousins. This was overcome by copy pasting the link into another browser and I found all three worked equally well; IE10, Firefox or Chrome.

Even with the Newsletter opened, none of the links worked. Here the problem was likely put down on my main Computer to an aggressive Ad and Cookie blocker (fully intended I might add). So in the end I elected to use another computer that has neither of these protections (just an installed anti-virus which no PC should be without). I still had to copy paste the Newsletter link because of AOL but copy/pasting into a separate browser seemed to overcome the problem in opening links, so problem solved.

I believe for me the problem of trying to open the Newsletter from my AOL browser window (somewhat of a hybrid) is largely down to the idiosyncrasies of this particular browser. So if a similar problem is experienced by others just copy and paste into a separate browser window. Peter recommends Chrome, but I find that all the main browsers perform equally well. However if anyone does experience problems, it might be a good idea to use the Browser recommended by Peter and mentioned in his footnote about clicking on links and disabling any ad blocker. (Or as in my case, use a different computer that does not have same).

If anyone encounters similar (or for that matter dis-similar) problems please respond to this posting.

2. Doreen

Doreen LostCousins Star

I have been using Chrome for quite some time and the link always went directly to the newsletter; however, the most recent newsletter link takes me to the Lost Cousins page and I opened the newsletter from there. Just checked out the October 29th newsletter and that took me directly to the newsletter.

• Misleading Misleading x 1
  3. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

There was an error with the link to the latest newsletter in the email I got. It worked by copying and pasting into a browser but the url behind the link was flawed so it didn't work when clicked. I tried a couple of times before noticing why it wouldn't work.

4. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

When I clicked on the email link to the November newsletter I was taken to the Lost Cousins home page, so I clicked on the link to the newsletter from there. I did message Peter about it and like Doreeen tried the link to the October newsletter from the email and was taken directly to the newsletter. :confused:

5. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

When I clicked on the November email link (on the day received) it did take me to Lost Cousins, but when I clicked on its Newsletter link it took me back to the October Newsletter. I tried this again yesterday, and admit it now opens the November Newsletter.

6. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

As I said in my earlier posting I did message Peter and I received a reply that there was an error in the first 1700 emails he sent out - the link as it appeared was correct,
    but the underlying HTML was wrong. o_O