1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Ontario Cemetery Finding Aid

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Shayne, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Shayne

Shayne Member

This is a wonderful place to begin looking for internments. I am adding the link to the main page as the FAQ, etc are good to go through first. If you don't know what county the deceased is buried in, you may get quite a few hits. The list is not complete but new records are being added at fairly regular intervals.

Ontario Cemetery Finding Aid

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  2. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

Thanks Shayne, very interesting...... As a follow up this is something of a work in progress sparked by looking at the OCFA website and then reading a notice in a rural Ontario paper regarding a proposed burial ground. I found this official link which describes the process after discovery of evidence of a possible burial site. The official link does not seem to have a link to the notices that appear in the appropriate local papers and the on-line edition of the rural paper did not include it either. I will summarise as briefly as possible, although I have no personal interest in this proposed burial ground, because I wonder how anyone searching for their family could pursue this possibility for finding a "lost cousin" on line. Two collapsed coffins and fragmentary human remains were found on the site of the former (Pioneer) Christian Church of Drayton ( 1855- 1906). Between 1875 -1897 remains from the Christian Church cemetery were transferred to Victoria Cemetery , Drayton ( historical township of Maryborough) and you'll find a reference in the very useful OCFA database. This particular database was compiled from information provided by the Wellington county branch of OGS so my next step will be to contact them. I'll also contact the person who posted the official notice. If this turns into something useful I'll post the appropriate links.