1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

NSW Hospitals

Discussion in 'Australia' started by AnneC, Dec 7, 2013.

1. AnneC

AnneC LostCousins Star

I'm hoping that one of our Australian members may be able to help on this - I'm looking for a location for "Northmore Private Hospital", Bankstown, NSW, which Bing & Google geocoding can't find. I know that it existed in the 1930's and 40's as I have seen copies of birth notices in the Trove newspaper archive, but would like to know where it was. Anyone able to help?

2. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

It was on Chapel Street according to this search but so far I can't get closer than that. I'm not an Australian member but love to search!! Hopefully one of them will weigh in as there seems to be a Chapel St and a Chapel Road.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  3. Margery

Margery LostCousins Member

It is many years since I have been to Bankstown but I only remember Chapel Road. The Sydney street directory shows it as "Road". It is fairly short and when it reaches the Hume Highway (aka Liverpool Road) it leads directly into Rookwood Road. Maybe a search for the owner of the hospital will yield results.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  4. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

Hi AnneC ,try sending an email to the local library, they may be able to help libraries@bankstown.nsw.gov.au I cannot find anything about this hospital except entries on Trove, sorry

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  5. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Anne - are you still looking for information about this hospital? I've had an email from a Facebook user who was born at the hospital and so might be able to help.

6. AnneC

AnneC LostCousins Star

Any further information would be very welcome.

7. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

From Dawn:

Northmore Private Hospital was more usually known as Nurse Bowers Private Hospital. It was an old weatherboard house used as a maternity hospital. It had a long verandah across the front, and the front door lead into a hallway from which on either side bedrooms were situated. It was run by a lady named "Nurse Bowers", and I can't be sure but I think I heard my father refer to her as Effie Bowers. The Hospital was situated at 532 Chapel Road Bankstown, five houses down from St. Felix Catholic School. St Felix is on the corner of Chapel Road and the Hume Highway. My cousin, girl friend and I were born at Northmore in a four day period and my sister born there in 1937. My cousin said the old house had been destroyed by fire at some time. I couldn't find details of that, but I'm forwarding a photo I found on the web of what the house looks like today. If Anne cares to look at the Google Map and search for the address, she will notice that the 5 houses are now surrounded by TAFE College and De La Salle College etc. I hope this helps. Best wishes to Anne.

upload_2015-7-8_7-16-32.png

Forgot to mention, each bedroom probably housed four mothers at a time, so my Mum, my Aunty and a family friend shared a room when we (my cousin, friend and I) were born. There's a couple of stories about Nurse Bowers herself which probably would not be of interest to Anne.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  8. AnneC

AnneC LostCousins Star

Thanks for following this up Peter, and please pass on my thanks to Dawn if/when you reply to her.

• Agree Agree x 1