1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

No recognition of "USA" as a country? (Fixed)

Discussion in 'Family Tree Analyzer' started by jorghes, May 20, 2017.

1. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

Interestingly it works on my machine just fine. I suspect therefore that the factlocationfixes.xml file is missing.

Edit: yes the XML files had been marked in the new website as data files and not required program files so they weren't getting included in the installer. I've fixed this for v6.1.3 which is now published.

The issue was the factlocationfixes file that standardises USA and all other country variants wasn't getting processed so it wasn't recognising countries properly.

2. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Great job Alexander, thanks. Let's see how Jorges gets on.

3. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

I think that there is a more general problem because most programs and people record this information in slightly differing formats and hence FTA provides a very useful ability to accept slight variations as if they were all the same. This can save many people a lot of time and effort by avoiding the need to change existing references to a 'common' standard. Before FTA was available, many people recorded census information within Notes in a form which was convenient to themselves, rather than using any facility within their family history program which can often be more time consuming to complete.

I am just as guilty of such laziness as anybody else. Fortunately, FTA accepts several variations, one of which suits my data for the England and Wales censuses in 1841/1881/1911. When it comes to other countries/years, the information is different and I am not aware of all the formats anticipated by FTA. Alexander has given the alternatives above for the US 1840 census but what exactly does that mean and what about other countries/years? I think that a few examples in the documentation would be very helpful and much appreciated by users.

I expect that most users of FTA almost exclusively provide reference data for England and Wales in 1841/1881/1911 so the problems with other countries would not apply to them.

It should not be too difficult to find the appropriate records in the Gedcom file. Open the file using Notepad, or something similar, and use CNTL-F to locate the individual concerned. Look for a record starting "1 CENS" followed by another with "2 DATE" indicating the year of the census. Other records should have been included to show the appropriate census reference, eg "Class: RG09; Piece: 614; Folio: 159; Page: 41" for E/W in 1861. Obviously, the 1840 US census would have different terms but should be broadly similar and match the values recorded in your FHS. If you supply the contents of such records to Alexander he will probably be able to advise further or make adjustments to FTA to accommodate.

4. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

Thanks very much all - FTA now showing that it has "found" some entries for the US census... and of course, some now "missing". But it actually shows them now rather than it seemingly not finding them at all! (and my "missing country" list has shrunk to only a single entry.)

5. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

6. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

... oh dear lord.

Just as a final note, not only is Australia a country, AND the world's smallest continent... it's also the world's largest island... :)

7. Margery

Margery LostCousins Member

An interesting story. At least it wasn't confused with Austria:rolleyes:!

8. Margery

Margery LostCousins Member

And the best place in the world to live;)!

• Agree Agree x 3