1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Newsletter - Putting theory into practice -Elizabeth Keehner

Discussion in 'Search tips - discussion' started by Karen1, Oct 10, 2023.

1. Karen1

Karen1 New Member

When it comes to finding missing ancestors in the records also consider variations/nicknames of the given name, not just the surname.

Isabella is another name for Elizabeth.

I was searching for the birth of my ancestor's sister Elizabeth Heedy's, listed as the daughter of John and Catherine Heedy, age 5 in the 1851 census. Elizabeth and her sister Sarah born 1859 are not listed with the family in 1861 (or the census) ,1871 she is Isabella Keely/Heely, 1881 Isabella Heedy, 1891 she is Elizabeth Kean (step daughter), 1901 Isabella Keane (step sister). I found her birth under Isabella Keene in 1846.

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Interesting - I hadn't realised that both names came from the some root. As if there weren't already enough varieties of Elizabeth!

Findmypast are good at finding alternative names if you tick the name variants box, but this is one they don't support. Possibly just as well since it must be a very rare occurrence.