1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

New Zealand probate records and wills

Discussion in 'More New Zealand Resources' started by SuzanneD, May 15, 2013.

1. SuzanneD

SuzanneD LostCousins Star

FamilySearch has been digitising probate indexes and actual wills from Archives New Zealand: the project is not yet complete but I was able to find index entries and images of a significant proportion of my NZ ancestors' and relatives' wills. Associated papers in the probate files, such as affidavits from family members, have also been scanned. These also sometimes have relevant genealogical information so for the entries with images attached, it is worth paging forward from the will to see if there are other useful papers.

The index database spans 1848 to 1994, but there is a 50-year cut-off for the images of wills and so those only go up to 1963. The Christchurch and Timaru registries seem well represented, which is good news given the restricted hours for consulting the originals in the Christchurch office.

• Good tip Good tip x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Hi Suzanne,

The link you have entered doesn't work, can you please check and correct?

Thanks.

Tim

3. SuzanneD

Sorry - fixed!

4. Emmyw

Emmyw LostCousins Member

Hi Suzanne
    Not sure whether to thank you for that or not - I am going to be spending hours over those records now.
    Regards
    Emmy

5. SuzanneD

Yes I know that feeling. Luckily many of my families have fairly uncommon surnames so there are fewer false hits to go through.

6. KimL

KimL LostCousins Member

Hi Suzanne, I love the link and the possibilities but I found a probate which says it has seven images but when I link to the image I only get the first page and not the ability to move to another page: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KDT9-8RC
    Could this just be an error on this entry as it seems to work fine on other entries?
    Thanks for the link this is why I love Lost Cousins. Cheers Kim

7. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

I can confirm the behaviour there seems no easy way to navigate and no simple url changes get to the other images either. I suspect you need to raise an issue with them through the feedback button at the bottom of the page.

8. Bee

Bee LostCousins Superstar

9. KimL

KimL LostCousins Member

I have had luck with other pages but this must be just an error. Thanks.

10. Emmyw

Emmyw LostCousins Member

I have just discovered that NZ Archives has started putting some later wills and probate records on their website (later than the ones on familysearch) - Not sure of the details, or how many, but where they are available you can either read them, or download them - loving it..

Regards
    Emmy

https://www.archway.archives.govt.nz/

• Thanks! Thanks! x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1