1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

New York Public Library images collection

Discussion in 'More Resources' started by Shayne, May 28, 2013.

1. Shayne

Shayne Member

This site is predominantly US based but there are portraits, maps, military uniforms, street pictures from a number of different locations. The main page notes that there are over 800,000 images digitized from their collection. Best of all you don't have to be a member of the library to access it and it is free.

New York Public Library images collection

2. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

Shayne, I tried this site but when I searched for let's say "east lancashire regiment" 3 image boxes were shown but no pictures in the boxes, what am I doing wrong? It looks like a very interesting site with lots of information.

3. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

Have you also tried searching Google Images? Entering "east lancashire regiment" (without the quotes as they aren't necessary here) then you get a lot (hundreds) of old photos.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  4. Shayne

Shayne Member

I tried the same search and the pictures were there. It might have something to do with the software on your computer. Did you try the search more than once? There may have been a lag time for some reason. I'm not a computer guru so I'm just guessing.

Did you try clicking in the box? When I do that, the pictures load larger and it gives you more details. These were all Arent Cigarette Cards. The pictures are an army badge, uniform from the 19th century and their crest. As well when you click on the image, it shows you if there is more information and you can click on these to enlarge them to get the additional info. The badge and uniform have additional info.

Let me know if you still can't see them and if you would like I'll send it to you.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  5. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

Thanks Alexander and Shayne, just tried the site again and the pictures appeared, must have been a gremlin in the works yesterday.