1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Some new members aren't following the advice on posting links - please read it!
  3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. Both the main LostCousins site and this forum have been upgraded to that you can log-in securely. If you are not automatically taken to the secure site simply add https:// at the beginning of the URL.
  5. Guest - have you tested your DNA with Ancestry? Do you have English or Welsh ancestors, and do you know which counties most of them came from? If so please take part in my project by completing the NEW spreadsheet and uploading the results
  6. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join please register NOW!

New tick box when adding facts

Discussion in 'Ancestry problems' started by At home in NZ, May 14, 2019 at 7:33 AM.

1. At home in NZ

At home in NZ LostCousins Member

I don't know when it was decided that we should tick a box to say if we want the fact added to Life Story but it's a nuisance! I went back to an old fact, pretending to make a change and found the tick box was there too. Does this mean we need to go back over all our facts and untick the box if we're not creating 'Life Story'?
    Or, am I reading too much into this sudden change?

2. Tim

Tim Moderator Staff Member

I never use the Life Story, I just use the Facts tab.

3. At home in NZ

At home in NZ LostCousins Member

So do I and in my tree settings I have not ticked the box for 'Automatically build stories for this tree'. So I expect nothing at all to be added to Life Story, but on looking at my Life Story tab I see that is not the case.

The tick box in the new fact window has now disappeared!! However, the position of Date and Location fields has moved and if I go into an old fact I can see the tick box, ticked. That means to me that the Setting is being overriden.

upload_2019-5-14_22-41-12.png

4. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Star

Like Tim, I ignore 'Life Story' and just use the Facts tab. But my 'edit fact' window doesn't look like this. There is an extra 'Life Story Options' option and the tick box only appears if I select that screen (which I never normally do).

Screenshot 2019-05-14 at 3.57.45 pm.png Screenshot 2019-05-14 at 4.03.02 pm.png

5. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Star

I likewise ignore Life Story but my edit fact window seems to have changed to show the Life Story tick box too. Looking at Helen’s pictures, maybe that box was always ticked but previously was only apparent if you selected the LifeStory Options window.

6. Tim

Tim Moderator Staff Member

It does appear that the Fact Box has changed. But as the changes seem to relate to how data is or is not dispalyed on the Life Story tab, I'm not too worried.