1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Naming patterns

Discussion in 'Search tips - discussion' started by Alexander Bisset, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Margery

Margery LostCousins Member

As is my husband. To add to the confusion he was born on his father's birthday. (Note: we named our son Nigel!).

2. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

That's fine, you are allowed that. Nigel does not clash with me or my brothers. ;)

3. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

The same names crop up in three generations of my Irish relatives. They've solved the problem by referring to them as Old Old William, Old William and Billy!

4. webwiz

webwiz LostCousins Star

The only "pattern", if it can be called that, that I can discern in my tree is that when a son has the same name as his father he is often known by his middle name, perhaps to avoid confusion. Sometimes the same person will use different names from census to census.

5. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

That's something I've noticed as well - in fact, sometimes the order of the names gets switched around.

6. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

I've looked for patterns in my tree but I cannot find anything I could call a pattern as such. There are some surnames used as second names especially in the case of second marriages, using the first husband's surname as such eg Agnes Sophia Hamer Wood. Funnily my grandmother Mary Wood Ward (nee Johnson) has, as far as I can see, no Woods in her family. The Wood previously mentioned is not on the same side of the family.
    I have a few first sons named after their father and first daughters after their mothers. My grandparents John and Emily Edwards named their first son John and their third daughter Emily, their second son Thomas (Emily snr's father was John Thomas Hodson) and their second daughter Isabella after Emily snr's mother, so no pattern there. John Thomas Hodson named his third son John and his seventh son Thomas.
    There are quite a few children given the names of children born before them in the family who have died in infancy, which is quite sad. My great great grandparents Cornelius and Betty Kay named their their first son James after Cornelius's father, their first daughter Ann after Betty's mother and their second son Giles after Betty's father. Their second daughter Ellen (my ancestor) did not fit the pattern as Cornelius's mother was Betty. Their third son Alfred died at 7 months, the next daughter Maria burned to death at age three, their next son another Alfred survived to adulthood. their next son Cornelius( after his father) died age one, their next daughter Jane died aged 4, their next son Cornelius died at less than one year,they then went on to have two more children. You would suppose that after all these children and losing five of her children, that Betty would be worn out and have died at a young age, she died at 63 years but did remarry after Cornelius died aged only 42.

7. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Sometimes names like this are little jokes: for example, there may have been someone well-known (or known to the family) called Mary Woodward. In my tree I have someone whose forenames are Emmerson Cornwall - Emmerson is a name passed down from his father, but Cornwall comes from the name of a local dignatory called Emerson Cornwall (thanks, Google!).

8. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

Thanks Peter that's one avenue that I have not explored, onwards and upwards. Had a search on Google but nothing stood out.