1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Name of spouse on death certificate?

Discussion in 'England & Wales BMD registers' started by canadianbeth, Nov 8, 2019.

1. canadianbeth

canadianbeth LostCousins Star

My maternal grandmother was married very briefly before she married my grandfather. I have found the marriage information; she and James were married 31 July 1909. They had tickets for sailing to Canada in 1911 but he fell ill and died before they could go; he told her to go anyway so she did. She is listed in the 1911 Canadian census. I have found what I think is probably his death on Findmypast but it gives very little information; just the quarter. I am wondering if I send for the actual certificate if it would give my grandmother's name.

I also found a record for the birth and death of an infant in 1909; the birth in first quarter and the death in the second. I know the mother's maiden name would be on the birth certificate, but what names would be on the death one? I do not want to be paying for certificates that do not give this information.

2. If this occurred in England you could look at the GRO Online Index to find out the mother's maiden surname which is given in birth records but not deaths.
    This is the link it is totally free to use.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  3. canadianbeth

Thank you. I found the infant but the mother's maiden name was not my grandmother's. James is there for 1911.

• Out of date Out of date x 1
  4. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

The death certificate of a married man who died in England or Wales in 1911 will not give his wife's name, unless she was the informant. This is in contrast to the death certificate of a married woman of that era, which gives her husband's name under 'Rank or Profession', as wife or widow of X, and his occupation - a man's certificate just has his occupation. This is universally the case on all the death certificates I have seen, dating from the 1840s to 1939.

If your grandmother registered the death, her name and address would be on the certificate, under 'Informant'. However, if your only reason for getting the certificate is to confirm her name/address you could be wasting your money. My grandfather's death was registered by his brother-in-law (his sister's husband) even though his wife was alive and (presumably) well, in her early fifties, but no mention of her on her husband's death certificate (nor even the fact he was married).

An English or Welsh death certificate issued before WW2 has the following information: full name of deceased; date and place of death; age at death; rank or profession; cause of death; name and residence of informant (with relationship to deceased and 'present at the death' or 'in attendance' if appropriate); date of registration; name of registrar.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  5. canadianbeth

Thank you. I think I was more interested to know if the infant that died in 1910 was hers and James' but it appears that was not the case. I am actually glad that it was not; losing the baby and then her husband would have been doubly bad, to put it mildly. Getting James' death certificate would just give me his date of death and the cause; I am not sure if I will bother. He was not born yet in 1881 and was not on the 1911 census; since Grandma was on the Canadian one he probably died early in the year.