1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Name change

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by SLJ, Jan 2, 2023.

1. SLJ

SLJ LostCousins Member

Yes you are right Peter, female Rybinska and male Rybinski.

2. SLJ

SLJ LostCousins Member

Thank you for all the helpful replies. I can see it is going to take some time to explore the gazette and look at the deed poll site, when I have sometime...
    I also discovered that one of her children as an adult changed their surname to Harvey too, but the other didn't, changed it to something different...

3. Stuart

Stuart LostCousins Member

Good point, Peter. I ought to have said it was their advice on research and history I was referring to.

There is, of course, an official body for enrolling deeds poll. That route must now be almost compulsory, if you want the name change to have full effect. Enrolment is done by the King's Bench division of the high court, who also produce the DIY document set for doing it.

And it only costs £42.44 - plus two solicitor's fees for administering oaths - but has not been exactly popular. I've looked again at the number of hits in the Gazette using that simple search. Half of those since digitisation started (about 13,000), were in the last five years. Before 2000 it's about 300 per year, sometimes a lot fewer. That number is typical (though it fluctuates a lot) right back to WW1 (13,257 in 80 years). The few hits before that are not notices of enrollment, since that only began in 1914. So it really was very rare until the last few years, and still is rare.

Oddly, the current regulations say
    Thar was issued in 1994, by the "Supreme Court of England and Wales". The new Supreme Court of the UK was set up in 2009, so presumably that text should have been amended to the "Senior Courts of England and Wales".

4. SLJ

SLJ LostCousins Member

Contacted FMP this is the image sent. The green ink does it say 30872?
    [​IMG]

5. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

It's certainly '72'. The month isn't that important, but it could well be '8'.