1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

My Shoebox

Discussion in 'Ancestry' started by At home in NZ, May 10, 2021.

1. I'm using Chrome too but where is the arrow??
    I cannot see it.

2. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

upload_2021-5-15_11-37-46.png

3. Thanks, I thought that was an exclamation mark however nothing happens when I click on it. Right click does the usual, i.e. open in new tab etc.

Perhaps we need the help of one of the technicians?

4. Bryman

Alternatively, perhaps all forum members should be asked to use Firefox in order to get full functionality?

Do any of the forum members that do not get an active link when left clicking on the arrow get the arrow displayed in blue with a change of pointer when hovering over?

5. I'm still using Chrome.
    When hovering over the arrow I get the pointing hand but it does not change to blue, when I left click nothing happens.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

I'm using Microsoft Edge
    When hovering over the arrow I get the pointing hand but it does not change to blue, when I left click nothing happens.

7. Katie Bee

Katie Bee LostCousins Member

After a bit of trial and error, I can now get all the links from the arrow on Chrome.
    On my Chromebook I have to hover over the arrow to get the pointing hand then use two fingers on the pad to get the links one finger does not work.
    On my phone I have to touch and hold my finger on the arrow and then the links open.

I have never noticed the arrow before, or if I did I had forgotten about it!

8. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

Well I thought it strange you reporting something that does not seem to work for others. I have relegated Firefox browser to just one laptop as it misbehaved once too often when in regular use.. I will open it on the laptop - it will need updating for sure - and see if I can get the 'arrow' to work as you describe.
    (I know right clicking provides options to link in another tab, etc but that merely opens the whole page again).

9. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

When I right click in Chrome it takes me to the right post in a new tab. I actually find that more convenient than going back to the original post in the same tab, as you move more easily from one to the other.

10. Bob Spiers

Well yes something does happen when using Firefox as Bryman explains - except hovering does not produce a pointing finger - but when clicked it does open to show the relevant posting. Then, as Bryman says, you need to read through it to locate the actual quote. Strange I cannot get it to work in Edge or Chrome - or Opera as first reported.

Mind it will take a good deal more than getting the arrow to work to switch to Firefox although to be fair, it may have mended its ways...for now it remains on the naughty stair.

11. Bob Spiers

I was aware of 'right' click options but thought it merely opened the page again. I now see that opening in another tab does show the original posting, and so understand how that might be a benefit to switch between tabs. Firefox opens the original posting with a left click (not in a separate tab) but on reflection - as you then have to revert back to the new posting - think I prefer the right click options.

12. A. Muse

A. Muse LostCousins Member

Thanks for drawing my attention to the 'Arrow' I'd never noticed it before. Works fine for me in Firefox 88.0.1 (which I swear by). Will try it on my Linux laptotp later.
    Perhaps the colour of the arrow could be tweeked to make it stand out more, or perhaps make it bolder?

13. Bob Spiers

Makes a change because in the not too distant past, with me Firefox was more sworn at than by:mad: The only one that achieves the 'swear by' status for me is Edge. I dare say Chrome still tops the poll with others (and a good reserve in my judgement) but my best 'also ran' is Opera which never seems to give any trouble. Browsers are a bit like Football teams, some you support, others you wouldn't shed a tear if relegated.

14. PhilGee

PhilGee LostCousins Member

I actually get the reverse colouring (Chromium & Firefox) - the arrow is blue until the pointer causes it to change to black when hovering. I did have to change to 200% display to get a large enough image to see the colours correctly :eek:

15. Bryman

This is beginning to look like insufficient coding within the Forum software. The blue colour of the arrow (default internet colour) indicates that there is a link available (as with words Report, Quote, Reply, etc) and the change from pointer arrow to pointing finger is also indicative of a link beneath. The arrow is a little on the small side and I had not noticed the change in colour to black before the link is left-clicked but Phil is correct and I encounter the same.

The fact that the link is processed differently within different browsers suggests that the Forum coding is out of date and needs to be modified to remain compatible with the latest browser updates. Perhaps Peter would be kind enough to raise that matter with the Forum developers?

Interestingly, I never experienced any of the problems with using Firefox that you seem to have encountered so that is why I remained as a user. Perhaps I am less adventurous than you and don't push the browser to its limits.

16. Katie Bee

Katie Bee LostCousins Member

If you right click in Firefox you get the option to 'Open link in New Tab' or 'Open link in New Window' plus other options.
    Both the above take you to the actual quote in either a new tab or new window.
    So Firefox acts just like Chrome on my computer.

17. PhilGee

PhilGee LostCousins Member

It's a "page refresh" problem. If you go to the first post on page 2 and click the arrow, then page 1 loads and the relevant post is displayed as expected in Chromium (Chrome). With Chrome/Opera the page fails to reposition at the post if it is the same page.

18. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

I don't get this in Chrome - if I left click nothing happens whether the original post is on the same page or not. However, in Firefox left click takes me to the relevant post, whether on the same page or a previous one.

I too had rejected Firefox previously as I'd found Chrome normally behaved better. Clearly it's the other way round with this feature.

EDIT: Just tried clicking on 1st post on p.2 again in Chrome and this time it did go to the relevant post on p.1.! Strange.

19. Just about sums the whole thing up! :rolleyes::D

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Susan48

Susan48 LostCousins Superstar

The same happens with Safari on a MacBook, although it doesn't matter whether you right or left click.