1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

My Heritage – For Peter and anybody else who is interested - a follow up

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by At home in NZ, Aug 12, 2022.

1. This is a follow up to the Discussion ‘Should I bite the bullet - a MyHeritage dilemma’.

I have started a new discussion because that one got rather messy.

It seems I have had a big memory lapse because I did actually obtain a free account in Feb 2021, my membership was terminated on 6 August 2021 at my request and no, I do not remember why.

In July 2021 there was an update to their privacy policy due to:
    MyHeritage’s acquisition by leading private equity firm. Francisco Partners.

The address at the foot of that email was
    MyHeritage Ltd. (Israel), 2975 Executive Parkway, Suite 310, Lehi, UT 84043, USA

Lehi is also where Family Search is.

The one person I have been able to talk to said they are not aware of any records in MyH that are not in Ancestry that pertain to their own research i.e. English.

They also made the comment that a lot of the links in MyH went to Family Search.

An email received from Family Tree Magazine containing a link to:
    MyHeritage for Free: 10 Tips for Using It Without a Subscription

I used this link to access the MyH Collection Catalog

My findings, for what they are worth:
    The census collection does not include Scotland 1911.
    It does include the 1939 register which was last updated 12 May 2022

I found the England, Essex Parish Registers, 1538-1900.
    I have a copy of the parish register for my grandmother’s baptism, which I know was obtained from the Essex Parish Registers. I searched in MyH but her name didn’t appear in the results.

Every record I attempted to look at produced the message that I should log in and participate in the 14 day trial until I went to look at the 1901 Ireland census which gave me the transcript and a link to look at the full record in the National Archives.

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

All of the major webs1ites have billions of records provided by FamilySearch - similarly FamilySearch has billions of records provided by various subscription sites. England, Essex Parish Registers, 1538-1900 is a FamilySearch collection which is also found at Ancestry.

I didn't expect the Scotland 1911 census to be available at MyHeritage, but it was worth checking just in case, since it's currently only at ScotlandsPeople, which is pay-per-view.

Whilst it's helpful to know that your friend didn't find any relevant English records which are not also available Ancestry, we know that hasn't always been the case (since MyHeritage had the 1939 Register before Ancestry). What would be of particular interest would be parish registers that aren't available at other sites, but whilst a search of MyHeritage's UK collections indicates that they have images for some parish registers, it's possible that they are not register pages but pages from a printed book.

It's interesting that you were able to look at the Ireland census without logging-in because Findmypast doesn't allow that.

3. I forgot to mention, their reason for signing up with MyH was because it had the 1939 register and Ancestry did not. (sorry if I mislead by omission).