1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Mundia is retiring

Discussion in 'Latest news' started by Mike, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Mike

Mike Member

I never really understood how Mundia related to Ancestry but I did have an account with them and had made a few useful contacts with other members. I recently received the following email from Ancestry...

2. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

Hmm the normal good wishes are to wish a long and happy retirement but in this case I suspect a death soon after retirement.

3. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

They'll just add the trees to their main site.

4. Mike

Mike Member

True. Not good for me though as those trees will disappear from view. I have an Ancestry account but not an Ancestry subscription. Also I lose my message history and contacts. I will save the messages of course and most of the people I contacted I went on to exchange email address with so....

Guess I'm just moaning about not much really.

Mike

5. Tim

Ask your contacts to move their trees to Ancestry. You don't need to subscribe to load trees and you can make them private.

6. Mike

Mike Member

I don't think they will need to as Ancestry is doing that for them.
    It won't help me though as I won't be able to see them.

7. Tim

Why can't you see them?

8. Mike

Mike Member

I can't see any trees.

e.g.

"Search" "Public Member Trees"

Enter a name, click "Search"

Up come lots of results.

Click on a tree name under "Member Tree" columns and I get the

Try us free for 14 days... etc screen

i.e. no access unless I pay

9. Tim

Hi Mike,

No, I think you need to register, but you don't have to pay to register.

10. Mike

Mike Member

I am registered, and logged in

11. Tim

Ok, and now your contacts need to invite you to view their trees.

12. cfbandit

cfbandit LostCousins Member

Mike, I keep a free account on Ancestry most of the time. If your family invites you to see their tree, you'll be able to access it under "my family trees" (and you won't be able to view attached sources from Ancestry). You won't be able to surf them openly like on Mundia.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Mike

Mike Member

That's the big drawback really. And as I would struggle to call any of them family I don't expect many invites.
    It's not a big problem. I am always watching out for Ancestry short term special offers and always can do a trawl of the trees when they occur.
    Thanks for the advice

14. Tim

You could always try this route? 6 months Ancestry membership for £29.99
    And software thrown in free!!

15. Mike

Mike Member

Perhaps if my treble of £5 on Belgium, Brazil and Russia to win comes true tonight.

16. cfbandit

cfbandit LostCousins Member

I often do a month at a time, Mike. I did 3 months with .co.uk, now I'm doing a month with .ca, and I think I need to do a month with .com in order to clear up oodles of hints and potential connections.

Ask if you can. I often mail folks from the library messages with my user and email to contact me. It's a pretty good way of doing it, I get about 50% responses.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  17. AndyMick

AndyMick LostCousins Star

Have you read Peter's latest newsletter yet?

18. Tim

Latest newsletter can be found here.

19. Mike

Mike Member

I have been on that 4 months for £20 offer from Jan to May. It was an amazing bargain.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. AndyMick

AndyMick LostCousins Star

Me too! I'm debating whether to try it again, but with holidays etc, I'm not sure. Which one of us will be the one to find out whether it applies to lapsed subscribers? Assuming Ancestry.co.uk is up, of course!