1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Migration patterns Canada and US

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Britjan, Sep 13, 2014.

1. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

When I first started tracking distant cousins particularly from the county of Norfolk in England who migrated to Canada many only stayed one generation before heading to the US. Having recently taken a closer look at the Canada 1881 census which you can enter at Lost Cousins I found a contingent of "Pennsylvania Dutch" who migrated up through Canada c 1861- 1881 and settled there. Some of this particular group in my case settled around the north shores of Lake Ontario for several generations before moving c 1901-1921 towards Canada's west coast where they still live.
    It was looking at religious affiliation as well as occupation that prompted me to dig deeper. I think it was likely that ties to Mennonite and Free Methodist communities that drew my in-law connections north as much as the opportunity to "homestead".

2. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

Ontario GenWeb has some good resources on emigration to Canada from around the world. On a local level you will find lots more in provincial, county and municipal archives.

3. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

I found the best information in the end from a Mennonite source and discovered the family I was tracing were among the first "inland" white settlers in Southern Ontario around 1820.