1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Mary Ellen O'Hara but actually Swindells.

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by kiwilong, Aug 5, 2018.

1. kiwilong

kiwilong LostCousins Member

Hello all.
    I'm hoping for a little help please. The information I would like is not available on my Ancestry subscription.
    My maternal grandmother, Mary Ellen Swindells was born 5th April 1887 in Hulme, Manchester.
    On the death of her mother and grandmother in 1892 she was effectively given to a childless couple, Frederick Joseph and Ellen O'Hara and grew up with the surname O'Hara.
    In all fairness this was probably a good thing to happen to her and we all thought of the O'Hara family as ours,
    I want to better understand what happened to Mary Ellen between 1892 and 1901, was there a connection between the birth family and the O'Hara couple.
    In the 1891 census the O'Hara' lived at 24 Dougill Street, Hulme.
    In the 1901 census Fred and Mary Ellen lived at 73 York Street, Hulme.
    In 1892 Mary Ellen's brother who I assume gave her awy lived at 11 York Street Hulme.
    so what I would like to know is when did the O'Hara's relocate to York Street, I.e. were they neighbors, friends or strangers.
    The rate book entries for the appropriate years would awnser this question for me, at least in part.
    In 1910 Fredrick had a brush with the law apparently and this also would interest me.
    Thankyou in anticipation of your help
    kiwilong.

2. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

The rate books 1706-1900 are at Findmypast which you may be able to access with a trial subscription. I don't know if they are available elsewhere.

By searching, I found Frederick Joseph O'Hara from 1891-1899 and while he had moved from Dougill Street it was not to York Street.

So I guess the answer to your question as to when they moved to York Street is, some time between 1899 and 1901.

3. kiwilong

Thank you Pauline for your post.
    I realize now that i was out of order asking for a "lookup" on this Forum.
    I have determined that Henry Maloney, the senior member of the Maloney/Swindells clan, had changed his address by 1894. Henry married in 1884 and he and his wife had 15 children, only 2 of which were alive at 1911 census time. Their address in 1894 as per a baptism record was not York Street.
    So i have probably got as good an answer to my query as i'm likely to get.
    Thanks.
    Kiwilong.

4. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

I don't think there's anything wrong with the occasional ask, though T&Cs on the various subscriptions sites may mean people are unable to respond very specifically.

In this case it's possible you would find out more useful information by looking at the records yourself, as people don't have to be living on the same street to be near neighbours. I say that only in general terms as I haven't looked at a street map of Hulme for the relevant period.

Of course, as well as taking out your own subscription to view records, many libraries etc across the world have subscriptions to Ancestry and FMP which their members can take advantage of.

5. kiwilong

Thanks Pauline.
    kiwilong.