1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Marriage Witness Query

Discussion in 'Middlesex' started by Pauline, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

My ancestor, Thomas Price of Hillingdon, married Elizabeth Wimpey at St Marylebone on 12 Oct 1775. The parish register image is at Ancestry but I'm struggling with the surname of the 1st witness.

My initial guess was ETTERBACK but I can't find other references to this surname so I'm having doubts. Other possibilities may be ELLERBACK or ELLERBECK.

Any thoughts, please?

Elizabeth Wimpey is not my ancestor, and the Wimpeys are not too hard to trace, but I have yet to find Thomas Price's earlier marriage to my ancestor, and there's always a chance this marriage witness may provide a lead.

2. AdrienneQ

AdrienneQ Moderator Staff Member

How about Seaback although I think its _ _ eaback

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  3. Sue345

Sue345 LostCousins Member

Looking at the way she has written 'E' for Eliz, I think you're right that the surname begins with an 'E'. Ellerback / Ellerbeck is not an uncommon name, or you could use a boolean search.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  4. Pauline

Many thanks for the thoughts on this. I've been investigating both these possibilities at Ancestry and it looks like Ellerback/Ellerbeck may be the surname in question.

I have just found a marriage at St Marylebone on 13 Jun 1784 where the bride is given as Catherine Ellerback and one of the witnesses is a William Wimpey. Interestingly, while the clerk has spelt the surname ELLERBACK it looks as though both the bride and the second witnesses have signed their surname with the spelling ELLERBECK.

Anyway, this marriage does seem to suggest a connection between the Wimpeys and the Ellerbacks which I shall follow up on, though if the connection is to the Wimpeys, it may mean my hope of this surname providing a lead on my ancestor Thomas Price will come to nothing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Sue345

Sue345 LostCousins Member

Good luck with that!

6. Pauline

I've now found the marriage of William Wimpey and Catherine Ellabeck/Ellerbeck at St James Piccadilly (Westminster) in 1765. So that does seem to confirm that the Ellerbeck link is with Elizabeth Wimpey rather than my ancestor Thomas Price.

Oh well, back to the drawing board.