1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Mapping the London WW2 Bomb Census

Discussion in 'More London Resources' started by Jennie, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Jennie

Jennie LostCousins Member

With Bomb Sight you can discover what it was like in London, during WW2 Luftwaffe Blitz bombing raids, exploring maps, images and memories. The Bomb Sight web map and mobile app reveals WW2 bomb census maps between 7 October 1940 and 6 June 1941, previously available only by viewing them in the Reading Room of The National Archives.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Jacqueline

Jacqueline Moderator Staff Member

I found this very useful for dating the bomb that blew my uncle's front dooor out through the back door, and where he rescued the next door neighbour from under her wardrobe.
    Another useful source for London bombs is the London County Council London Bomb Damage Maps 1939-1945 in the LMA and published in a bound volume by the London Topographical Society for members only in 2005. There is a copy on open shelves in LMA. These maps through colour coding show buildings demolished, those damaged beyond repair and those damaged but capable of repair. Middlesex CC published similar maps, also published by the LTS in their London Topographical Record Vol. XXX, 2010