1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Mackiev-Mackiev -you do deceive!

Discussion in 'Family Tree Maker' started by Bob Spiers, Aug 31, 2022.

1. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

Would you believe, out of the blue Mackiev have notified a FREE (I shall repeat FREE) update to my FTM2019 software, and in an off-guard moment I actually said I would accept the update. I have not used Family Tree Maker for over a year, but recalling it to be a useful program and the inactivity was of my own making, I duly went ahead.

When the Mackiev interface appeared I had this horrible recall from the not so distant past that - second only to the proprietors of MyH (with whom I am sure they are soul mates) - they will take me round the houses before anything like the FREE update will be installed. And so it was to be.

Before I could proceed beyond the first FREE update, I was required to review another 30 or so (guesswork as I did not count them) applications - none of which were of course free. When they ran out of options I was prompted to confirm my card details to continue with my FREE purchase. Now there is no suggestion a payment would be forthcoming - and indeed I was told there would be NO CHARGE - but even so the update could not continue without my details.

At this point I should also own to the fact that I have not used FTM on the device where the update took place. That had been reserved for an old computer, no longer in use, but at the time when it was abandoned I had transferred the program to 2 other devices for when needed. This allowed Mackiev to confirm my bona fide -and boy do they make a meal of this - and then insisting I should import all my Trees and confirm that each had been backed up before proceeding. And of course FTM demanded each had to be synchronised with Ancestry.

It was at this point I thought of abandoning what I had started, but as I wanted at least my main Tree to remain on FTM I persisted with just the one. I suppose half an hour was needed to satisfy every 'reminder' that such and such needed to be confirmed or acted upon. Then finally after all that I was informed the update had been applied and I was good to go.

But I was anything like good to go, except to lie down in a quiet place and thank my lucky stars I had not attempted further Trees. So please beware all those offered the update, you are in for a real round the houses treat. You lucky people.

2. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

So what version are you now on Bob?

3. Bob Spiers

Edit: This morning what should be awaiting in my mail box but an official receipt from Software Mackiev (via their authorized (sic) reseller 'FastSpring)...thanking me for my purchase of FTM Updater Download of £0.00 (x1) (and of course Tax: £0.00).
    Why am I not surprised:)

4. Bob Spiers

Tim the exe file just says - FTM2019Updater02 -but examining FTM itself under 'About Family Tree Maker' shows as Version 2019 (24.1.0.1520) (Build 1520)

5. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Cheers Bob, went to check my version and a box has just popped up to say there's a new update :)

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  6. I'm still using FTM2017 and while it continues to work I'll continue to use it. according to the Wikipedia entry it is still supported. There is also a history of FTM and MyH is not mentioned.
    McKiev is based in Boston, which I think is quite some distance from that place in Utah.

7. Bob Spiers

I think I gave the wrong impression when I referred to Mackieve and MyH as 'soul mates' (both intend to lead you around the houses) but did not intend to imply they had any business relationships, in fact I am sure they do not have. Sorry if you misconstrued my meaning.

As for staying with FTM2017, I can understand if not broken then don't fix, I just dislike out of date software, but always consider costs before upgrading.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  8. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

I received an invitation for this free upgrade a couple of weeks ago, in a FTM 'newsletter' email, headed Family Tree Maker News - Greetings from Ukraine (not surprisingly, it sounds like the company have been having a tough time lately!). Anyway, I installed the upgrade in a few minutes with no problems. True, you have to step past all the adverts, but that doesn't take long and the verification of my entitlement was very straightforward too. I use a Mac, in case that's relevant, though the 'About' states it's Version 2019 (24.1.0.1520) (Build 1520), the same as Bob reports.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. canadianbeth

canadianbeth LostCousins Star

I also received this invitation but was not sure if it was legitimate so did not go any further until I received the one that Bob mentioned. As Helen says it was pretty straightforward once you get past all the ads.

10. PhilGee

PhilGee LostCousins Member

Remembering previous updates, I skip quickly through the "offers" so not even mildly annoying. It's the tree "conversions" that take most of the time - I have a tree for most direct ancestor "family names" (eg Jones of Southwick, Jones of Llandissilio ... 40 at the last count) and a composite for Ancestry DNA.

11. Bob Spiers

Well I'm of course pleased that both Helen and Phil (and any other who may post after I respond) had no problems with 'skipping' through 'offers', so I clearly have a shorter fuse. :mad: I can only think it was the others things mentioned, not least confirming card details for a FREE upgrade and the fact that FTM was not in use at the time of the upgrade, nor any Tree synchronised that stretched things out to silly proportions. Certainly the verification process took far too long.:(

Last edited: Sep 3, 2022
  12. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

I agree, it does feel like you have to wade through an incredibly large amount of pages of onselling to not spend a penny.

Every time I've had a free update of this type it has done the same thing.

13. Bob Spiers

Thank you jorghes, glad I am not alone. With Mackiev it is just commercial haranguing as far as I am concerned.

14. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

To be fair, there is a war on - you can't blame them for trying to generate some sales in return for providing you with a free update.

15. Bob Spiers

Yes, put that way it might seem fair, but I can spot aggressive salesmanship a mile away, and not just online.

In fact it takes me back to the days when I used to roam around PC World on a Saturday when it was first set up as a Computer Retail Store by Currys. I was fairly knowledgeable on computers and software and the operative word for me was 'browsing'. In those days there were numerous young salesmen (obviously on commission) who would pounce the moment you entered the store with the ubiquitous 'can I help you sir'. I lost count of saying, no thanks, just looking, but to little avail. Once salesman seeing me looking at Epson printers, went into raptures over a special offer on Canon printers and would not be shaken off, until I finally turned and told him I would not consider a Canon printer if you paid me to take it away- (a little over the top but effective) -so he left me alone.

As it happen I did that day purchase an Epson printer, and who should be doing a stint on the tills, but the same salesman. He keyed in the sale and set about regaling me with his patter on the virtues of taking out an insurance, when glancing up and recognising me and noticing the shake of my head, said I guess not.

(To be kind I recall telling him he deserved 10 out of 10 for trying).

Last edited: Sep 5, 2022
  16. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

That takes me back to the days when I used to wander round Dixons on a Saturday, hoping that I could get to speak to a salesman (and they were all men, or rather boys, in those days). More often than not I'd walk out 15 minutes later, frustrated at having been unable to speak to anyone or buy anything.

PC World was a refreshing change, even though they were bought by Dixons in 1993. These days, however, it's so much easier and cheaper buying tech online that I rarely ventured into a store (even before the pandemic).

17. Bob Spiers

I quite agree that the salesmen were all boys, and even the so called Managers barely out of their teens. Being a tad older than most people browsing in a computer store even then (goodness knows that they would think if I was to return today) I was regarded as a 'greenhorn' oldie. On one occasion even getting a snigger when I returned a faulty PC CD disc and spoke with two store 'techie' lads. who suggested I might have been trying to insert the disc the wrong way. That did it and so, giving them one of my withering looks, I told them in no uncertain terms that I probably had forgotten more about computers and relevant software than they would ever learn, and to kindly get me the Manager as I wished to report their insolence. This did the trick as they went back into their 'cubbyhole' only to return to say that indeed the CD was faulty, and would I care to get a replacement copy. I suggested they should do that for me and they even accompanied me to the tills to get the item through as no charge. Sadly I met the same reactions on other occasions, but as you say, these days I do everything online.