1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Lost Cousins Referrals

Discussion in 'Ask Peter' started by Alexander Bisset, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

2. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

Rather a big gap since the last post on this topic but I thought it might be useful to remind others what I had not realised (or rather forgotten :oops:).

I have just sent a census reference list from FTA (in csv format) to my 4th cousin because I thought it was not possible to send a referrral without knowing the email address of the person to whom the referral is being made. THAT IS INCORRECT.

The email address can be left blank in the referral process before the instances are selected from the list of census entries. Then, when the Referral Code is assigned at the end, that code can be sent in ANY way, even verbally via the telephone, if necessary. As long as that Referral Code is specified by the new joiner as part of their registration process then the selected ancestor references will be automatically initialised for the new joiner.

One less excuse for not making a referral. Please make this post worthwhile!

3. Stephen L

Stephen L LostCousins Member

I recently established contact with a new cousin with only one shared ancestor from the 1881 Census. I suspected the new cousin would be distant but the relationship turned out to be second cousin once removed. Possibly he has not entered many ancestors yet. I would like to be able to duplicate the details of the other shared ancestors that I know we have. Before finding my way to this forum and reading that what I wanted to do is not possible I used the refer a relative link. I sent just one 1881 household.

I have now read that duplication is not possible. Would my attempt to duplicate lead to a new membership instead of linking to an existing one? If so I can advise my cousin to ignore the email with the link.

I have sent my cousin a spreadsheet and he will use that.

Stephen

4. Tim

Hi Stephen, and welcome to the Forum.

Peter has had some thoughts regarding being able to link more ancestors to an existing match. So we should watch out for that.

FTAnalyzer produces a referral list which is very handy, in the case of making a referral (which is useful for the current competition that Peter is running) it will make a list of all the people that are common to you both so that you can easily tick the correct relations at Lost Cousins.

The FTA referral list can also be used to send a spreadsheet to existing matches, to check for extra or missing relatives.

There is a whole section on the Forum for FTA, it has a lot of useful features and there are many users here who can help if you have questions.

I personally use it all the time and would recommend it highly to everyone who uses Family History Software to record their ancestors.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Stephen L

Stephen L LostCousins Member

Hi Tim,

That is useful to know.

Thanks for your advice on FTA. I have downloaded it and may use it, but not for looking for ancestors to transfer to cousins, at least not short term. I am not using my FH software to its full capability as I have put all of my census information into notes rather than creating census facts.

But I do use spreadsheets to collect and collate census information first before I transfer details to my FH software. I find the census is the key to structure my 19th century research. I tend to use it first when looking for descendants of ancestors then follow up with searches for marriages, births, baptisms etc.

Stephen

6. Tim

You've got to take the plunge and start creating the Facts!! The longer you leave it the more work you'll have to do to create the facts later.

Also, the more you use your FHS fully, then the more you'll get out of its reporting etc. And also the more you'll get from FTA.

Yes, Census is a very good place to start. I tend to go back through the censuses of my direct ancestors first as far as I can. Then follow the siblings of my direct ancestors forward through the censuses to 1911, filling in the Births, Baptisms, Marriages and Deaths as I go along.

7. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Yes, FTA may be(is) a brilliant program but has created a lot of work for myself and others who used the 'notes system'. But it sure reveals mistakes and omissions:(:rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Tim

You're right of course Emjay. Family History Software has evolved, as have the people who trace their family history.
    What started off on paper , hand drawn and written notes on cards, soon gave way to software. Thankfully a standard was defined and agreed to, (the gedcom standard) which allowed users to enter records in a standard fashion regardless of which FHS you chose. With the ability to add custom Facts, some great reports have been produced in FTAnalyzer.

I also had census info in the Notes, but decided that I had to change if I wanted to make life easier for myself in the long run. Writing the info down without quoting a source is the biggest error anyone can make. If you don't know where you found it, how can you easily check it?

Hence my message to Stephen, urging him to start using his software more. The more you put in, the more you get out :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. cfbandit

cfbandit LostCousins Member

I just had to say, I've tried for years to get people to join LostCousins, generally by emailing them the link. I feel like a bit of a dunce that I never paid enough attention to Peter's articles to realize there's a whole SECTION on the website devoted to doing them properly. Now I'm almost glad no one I "email referred" has joined LOL.

I'm going to try making my first official referral this weekend. We'll see what happens!

10. Tony

Tony LostCousins Member

Does the referral system work cleanly in the situation where a cousin and spouse will have 2 accounts using the same email address? In particular, the spouse is the genealogist and has just registered her own account, and is now considering registering an account for her husband, my 2nd cousin, but with her own email address. I'd want the sending of relevant My Ancestors entries to work!
    Hope it's OK to use this thread!

11. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Email addresses are irrelevant - it's the referral code that matters. You don't even need to know someone's email address to invite them to join (or use it if you do).

There can, however, only be two LostCousins accounts at the same email address (and they must have different passwords).

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1