1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Lost Cousins Newsletter 8/8/2013 Prince George's Birth Certificate Surprise

Discussion in 'Latest news' started by Tim, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Peter mentioned a surprise but the biggest surprise to me is that the form isn't filled in correctly?

I know that the Royals don't "normally" use a surname but this is an official document?

His occupation is Prince? And I thought he was a helicopter pilot in the RAF?

Boxes 11, 12 and 13 seem all wrong. Seeing as he's based at RAF Valley in Anglesey, isn't this the usual address?

Maybe that's why she's only a Deputy Registrar? ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

I suspect future family historians will have access to numerous other records to ensure that this infants birth record is suitably documented. :) It does however make you wonder about the accuracy of other certificates.

3. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

I don't think there's anything wrong with the entries - looks fine to me. Royals don't have surnames - see the GRO indexes.

4. Cathy

Cathy Moderator Staff Member

No wonder the Royals are hard to find in the indexes - take a look where Prince William's birth is indexed:oops: Surely not what the certificate says.
    I had to search in Ancestry rather than FindmyPast as FMP insists on a surname.
    One wonders whether the GRO is run by Republicans. Princess Anne's first marriage is indexed in handwriting Mountbatten Winsor (sic). Prince Edward's marriage is also registered with the Mountbatten-Windsor surname.
    Prince Charles' birth is registered under Windsor.
    So it seems the practice varies considerably.

5. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

Indeed as it does with forenames, given a previous interview the next king is likely to be King George VII.