1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Lost Cousins Christmas Competition 2014

Discussion in 'Comments on the latest newsletter' started by Tim, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

From Peter's Newsletter. All really great prizes, and I hope someone from the Forum wins!!!!

There are some excellent prizes in this year's competition, and the great thing about it is that to win, you only have to do what comes naturally - search for your 'lost cousins'.

Every direct ancestor or blood relative you enter on your My Ancestors page between now and midnight (London time) on Christmas Eve represents an entry in the competition. Shortly after midnight I'll pick a relative at random from all those entered during the period of the competition, and the lucky member will win this year's First Prize, a World subscription generously donated by Findmypast.

I'll then pick a second relative at random - another lucky member will win the Second Prize, a copy of Family Historian version 6, the newest and best family tree program, generously donated by Simon Orde, the creator of Family Historian.

Finally, I'll pick 10 more relatives at random - and 10 lucky members will get a free LostCousins subscription worth up to £12.50

Warning: you'll only qualify for the prize if your entry is correct, including the census references; make sure you click the [​IMG] button alongside the head of each household - it takes only a second or two to verify the census references for relatives living in England, Wales, or Ireland.

Even if you don't win one of these prizes, there's a far greater reward at stake - you could find a 'lost cousin'. Every single relative you enter is a potential link to another researcher who shares your ancestry - and whenever you click the Search button the LostCousins computer will compare every single entry you've made against the millions of entries made by other members!

• Thanks! Thanks! x 4
  2. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

I use FTAnalyzer to show me who I can add at Lost Cousins. If you don't already use it then I would certainly recommend it.

There is a special report just for Lost Cousins. Pressing the 1881 Census button for example, will list all the people with an 1881 Census fact, and for each person it lists useful things like Relationship to you, Census Reference numbers and Maiden names. Everything you need to enter at Lost Cousins.

So go on, give it a go, and increase your chances of winning a great prize.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
  3. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

As mentioned on another thread, this competition prompted me to start adding some previously missed entries from 1881 for siblings of my ancestors, along with their families. I suppose I have added a fair few new entries but have been very surprised to have found 6 new contacts so far. As yet only 2 have responded to my contact, and one of those I already knew from elsewhere, but I don't think I've previously been in contact with any of the other 4, and one of them is a cousin, not just a relative by marriage.

It can be a bit of a slog identifying and then entering new census entries, but even as a seasoned researcher, I got a good buzz when the message that I'd made another new contact kept popping up.

Just a few more new entries to add now so will I find any more new contacts?