1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

LIVER AND BACON WITH OR WITHOUT ONIONS - THE AMBROSIA OF THE GODS

Discussion in 'Comments on the latest newsletter' started by Bob Spiers, Oct 19, 2021.

1. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

I've just ordered some old-style tin openers (3 for £4.69 including delivery). Also available singly for £1.94

I also found them under a different name on Amazon.com.au
    Can opener.jpg

2. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

upload_2021-10-24_13-21-0.png

Well that took a few attempts to get a size that would be accepted. But this is the tin opener I use with this type of tin.

3. peter

By the way, the trick to uploading images is to save them as JPG then upload them as a file, rather than pasting them into your post.

4. peter

Got one of those, didn't work for me. But the rim on your tin looks thinner than on mine.

Bet yours is still in date.

5. Tim

Fray Bentos med.jpg

That was the method I was using, but have managed to get a size it was happy with.

6. Tim

Only till next year :)

7. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

Brings back memories to one we had at home as a boy but the only similarity is the way it works, as ours as I recall was tarnished -perhaps tainted is a better word - with a lifetime of use that I think possibly dates back to one or other of my grandparents, and simply passed on to my parents. I am pretty sure it never got passed down a generation likely because they were 'ten a penny' - OK perhaps 6d at Woolworths. (Which these days is not far short of parity with costing £1.94 and likely can be found in Charity Shop for 20p)

8. LynSB

LynSB LostCousins Member

I have two which must be over 50 years old inherited from my parents.:)

9. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

This FB can opening video shows a cheap tin opener that seems to work Here Good luck everyone ;)

10. peter

That YouTube video was posted yesterday by AtHomeinNZ, and Bryman posted a photo of the same tin opener. I commented then that I had an identical opener which had broken in the attempt (leaving me with a half-opened Fray Bentos can that I had to throw away).

The good thing about the old-fashioned tin openers that I've ordered is that they have no moving parts (other than the corkscrew), so provided the China-made copies are anything like the originals, they should do the job, albeit at some risk to life and limb.

11. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

Looking at the videos, there are two way of removing the lid of the can. With the opener held upright to remove the lid inside the rim, or horizontally to cut through the side and remove the rim as part of the lid. Just use an appropriate opener which can pierce the metal to the required depth. I make no guarantee as to what will work but the Judge model that I offered seemed similar to the type which we used successfully over 60 years ago. At that time I had not seen any openers which used a round cutting wheel.

12. peter

Easier said than done - I have tried at least four different types so far, including the one in the first YouTube video (which fell apart half-way through, presumably because it was less well-built than the can it was supposed to open). I have at least 5 tins waiting to be opened, so well worth buying the old-fashioned 'stab' opener that I grew up with and used successfully in the past.

13. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

The YouTube videos posted by AtHomeinNZ are not the same as the one I posted, one shows a couple showing their son how to open said pie and the other one is a man in a pink top, the video I posted shows a man with a beard, spectacles and a beanie (hat) and a different can opener.

14. MarionK

MarionK Moderator Staff Member

Nothing useful to report about can openers or recipes! However, I just need to say I have so enjoyed reading this thread.

My favourite 'food memories' are the date scones and apple & custard tarts baked by my grandmother back in the 60s. Nothing has ever tasted as good since then.

15. Bob Spiers

And something else not about can openers, but does relate to the Heading reference. I found it quite hilarious, and told to me by my wife who couldn't stop laughing after watching an afternoon Quiz show.

Quizmaster: Homer referred to the Drink of the gods being Nectar, what was the word he used for Food of the gods?

Contestant #1 I think I will pass on that (leaving it to the other Contestant to answer)
    Contestant #2: (after thinking about it answered) "Doughnuts".

Quizmaster: (barely able to contain himself and turning to the first contestant). Would you agree with this? (an academic remark because whether she agreed or not she had passed on answering)

Contestant #1: Yes I would probably have said the same.

Quizmaster: The answer is Ambrosia and I think you both had the wrong Homer in mind.

Couldn't stop chuckling and knew I had to share with the Forum.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 3
  16. peter

Apologies, I had seen that video before but must have found it myself after clicking on one of the original links.

17. peter

You'll find the Homer clip here.

18. Bob Spiers

Spoilsport, I don't think my posting called for a Google troll to locate the clip, it was self sufficient as told. But I suppose second hand telling is not quite the same as the original, so you are excused.

19. Margery

Margery LostCousins Member

Not "Donuts"?

20. No not that because that is the American spelling of doughnuts.