1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

List your date Errors

Discussion in 'Family Tree Analyzer' started by Alexander Bisset, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

One of the more obvious things FTAnalyzer shows when you load your GEDCOM file is a date that it cannot work out how to display. Ideally I update the program to understand all the various variants of dates people have entered. So please use this thread to list any date errors you have had.

NB. A lot of them are simply errors. ie: text that really doesn't make a lot of sense as a date. Some will be because the date has unusual characters in it eg: characters that don't normally exist on a UK keyboard. And some will be because its a sensible enough date format but isn't currently understood.

Please note however I'm not going to bend over backwards to accommodate every last variant of something. There is an International GEDCOM standard for a reason, the fact your family history program allowed some of the oddball dates I've seen is a failing of your family history program. I'll do my best to understand most formats but some I'll simply say sorry you need to manually fix that.

2. trebor

trebor LostCousins Member

Is there a recognised way of showing the year when we are recording the early months prior to the calendar switch in 1752?
    I have opted in my FT program to use 1750/1 (as an example and sometimes preceded by an actual day and month) but this is understandably rejected by FTA.
    Or should I just bite the bullet and select one system or the other and stick to it hoping that the rest of the world will follow me knowing which year I mean;)

3. Alexander Bisset

1750/1 should work. As should Mar 1750/1 and 11 Mar 1750/1 and 1750/51, Mar 1750/51 and 11 Mar 1750/51.

What exactly is rejected? What version are you using?

4. trebor

trebor LostCousins Member

Solved it
    I usually enter dates in to my FT program in a numerical format (1/1/1911) and the program converts to the required format (1 Jan 1911).
    The ones not being accepted by FTA are still in the numerical format having not been converted possibly due to the inclusion of something not recognised as part of the date format.
    I have manually corrected this and no more rejected dates.
    Thanks for making me look at the issue more closely.

5. MaryT

MaryT LostCousins Member

I am running PAF 4, and I, too, am getting multiple errors for these dates. I input eg 11 Mar 1750/1, and the programme is displaying it as "11 Mar 1750/1751". FTA is rejecting ALL of these - and as I have a one-place study here with thousands of entries, that's rather a lot! Is there anything we can do about this?

6. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

I'll get a message to Alexander for you.

7. Alexander Bisset

Hi Mary. Unfortunately years of the form 11 Mar 1750/1751 have proved VERY tricky to interpret as the current way the software works it sees the end year as an upper limit thus you get 11 Mar 1750 TO 1751. Which is wrong. I can investigate again but not making any promises sorry.

Hmm I looked around on the internet and found a way round the problem. This fix will be in the next version.